Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

just bought a 89 f150 5.0 v8

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 05:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bought a 89 f150 5.0 v8

i just bought my first truck its as i said in the title
the original owner told me it has over 500k miles on it total but he replaced the motor trannie and the radiator about 5 years ago
well the problem im having is that it seems a lil shaky at low speeds by low i mean less than 30
once i hit 30 - 35 it runs smooth
also it burning a lil oil about a quart every 2 weeks is what the guy told me i talked to a mechanic i went to school with he said its probably either my pcv valve or my seats and gaskets need to be replaced
also a little water is leaking from my radiator to my exhaust the mechanic said thats cause the gasket is old

basicly what im asking is dose that sound right and what would that normaly entail if i tried to do it my self if its more than a beginner could do how much would that normaly cost in a shop
i mean if it last me 6 months of decent driving i figure ill have made my money back since it only cost me 600 w/ a 600lb work truck shell on the back and a heavily improved suspension

oh and another problem is the 2nd gas tank is full of debree ive basicly tapped over the tank button but id like to find away to drain and clean it my self if possible how difficult would that be
Old 09-12-2008, 07:12 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Good morning and welcome to the site. Its been 18 years since I replace engines for people at my home. Had an excellent machine shop doing the rebuild, I added by replacing anything that would be a detriment to the persons investment in the engine. New water pump, radiator boil out, hoses, belts, t-stat, stuff like that. $2200 avg. You have a handful, don't think you over spent, but its going to be costly. If you decide to rebuild or replace, do it right, don't be cheap charlie and have a $10.00 belt fry the repair.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well actualy a lot of the motor and stuff is realativly new i do plan on getting a repacement truck realativly soon 6 months to a year mainly just want to keep this one going
the fuel pumps are in good order not old same for water pump
the guy who owned it kept his trucks in good order cause is was part of his fleet of trucks
the only things wrong that the mech said was mainly seats seals and the 2ndary gas tank the rest of the engine he said looks like it could go another 200k if i keep and eye on the oil and water till i get the seals replacedhe said the oil could just be the pcv valve he didnt check it right then cause we wernt at his shop he was just a class mate of mine out at the college he was taking some hvac classes
i picked up a serpentine belt from autozone the guy said it was good quality but coudlnt tell you the name brand witho ut going to the truck to look

Quick Reply: just bought a 89 f150 5.0 v8