Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Jump seats in bed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 12:35 PM
lost my Car again...

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Lightbulb Jump seats in bed?

I dont know about anyone but I always liked the idea of having jump seats in a truck. i guess its mostly due to the Subaru brats

Has anyone put a set in? I have 3 sets of front seats ive gotten over time and just for fun i put an old mustang seat in the back and it does not look half bad. I am assuming the legality of people riding in the back might cause an issue however If i add a pair of Seat belts you think it would pass?

Even if i cant have my buddy's out back it would still be sweet for fishing drive in movies camping tailgating ect.

Im thinking of making up a set to drop in just to see. figured id ask around here if anyone has done something like this
Old 03-25-2014, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

I did it in the mighty max, but I doubt it was legal without seat belts. One thing to consider is the restricted view out the back window, I had to fold the seat down or it would block almost the entire window
Old 03-25-2014, 01:04 PM
lost my Car again...

Yes I have taken that into consideration, as well as the seat belts however not entirely sure how to make a good mount for them other then a big thick plate steel reinforcement.
the Mustang seats are out of a fox body and fold pretty much in half and out of sight unless your looking down into the bed.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:21 PM

Received 95 Likes on 89 Posts

I used a bench seat from my old dodge. Worked great. Though i never had people ride on it down the road, only offroad. Can't find a pic without the horns.
Attached Thumbnails Jump seats in bed?-image-870337676.jpg  
Old 03-25-2014, 02:42 PM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Lol, I used my own bench seat that I replaced with bucket seats. I just took the head rests out and I can see past it just fine. Look up your local laws. In Washington state law says that if all the seats and seatbelts are taken up in the cab then it's legal for people to ride in the bed. One cop told me they just have to be seated below the edge of the bed. I'm sure many states have something similar.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:27 PM
mattbarron94

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Forge-World-FORD
Lol, I used my own bench seat that I replaced with bucket seats. I just took the head rests out and I can see past it just fine. Look up your local laws. In Washington state law says that if all the seats and seatbelts are taken up in the cab then it's legal for people to ride in the bed. One cop told me they just have to be seated below the edge of the bed. I'm sure many states have something similar.
I believe the law in Texas is you have to be 18 to ride in the bed. Or maybe its 17.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:32 PM
lost my Car again...

In Maine its not legal to be in the back, even Animals are not allowed to. however if i have seats AND Seat belts. other then a roll over should be ok?

No matter even if I cant have people in the back it is still a useful feature considering its a 4x4 Which i have to say I dont think i would allow anyone in the back of the truck when im off roading Ive almost rolled my truck more then once and got it stuck up in a tree
Old 03-25-2014, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by mattbarron94

I believe the law in Texas is you have to be 18 to ride in the bed. Or maybe its 17.
I'm pretty sure it's 18 over here
Old 03-25-2014, 06:31 PM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

There's a prefab, DOT certified setup on the web, the only legal set on the that I know of. There's actually a standard somewhere. In Louisiana, you have to 13 or over to ride in a truck bed or the only means of transportation for a family exceeding the cab limit. However, the state is in the process of outlawing animals in the bed unless their in a restrained pet carrier. I guess dogs get more safety laws than 13 year old kids.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by unit505
There's a prefab, DOT certified setup on the web, the only legal set on the that I know of. There's actually a standard somewhere. In Louisiana, you have to 13 or over to ride in a truck bed or the only means of transportation for a family exceeding the cab limit. However, the state is in the process of outlawing animals in the bed unless their in a restrained pet carrier. I guess dogs get more safety laws than 13 year old kids.
Well guess I was wrong. And that'll be a shame, our dog likes to ride up on the toolbox.

Quick Reply: Jump seats in bed?