Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Ignition system tune up

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 10:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ignition system tune up

So I followed the advice of members on this forum and did some research into the 6liter tune up. This afternoon I scrapped my stock ignition components that had been on the truck since 96, and I upgraded them per the 6liter recommendations. I added Motorcraft SP415 copper core plugs gapped to .055, ford racing 9mm wires, accel cap and rotor, and the accel 48k ignition coil. I didn't do the timing bump yet because I want to make sure I replace my vacuum lines first to ensure I don't have any leaks, but damn, I can tell how much better it runs right away. Especially since the rear most plug wire on the passenger side had a huge crack in it, which was most likely causing my miss at the 11-1300 rpm range. I would definitely recommend that anyone who hasn't done so already to go with the new ignition components. It's hard to keep your foot out of it when the motor feels so healthy again!
Old 09-29-2016, 02:03 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

running my timing at 13to14..you"ll like the bump
Old 10-01-2016, 07:29 PM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

Ive had really bad luck with the accel coils in these trucks so if something starts acting up that would be the first place I'd look. If/when you bump up the timing make sure to keep an eye on your engine temp. The bump causes the engine to run a bit warmer and can sometimes reveal a weakness in the cooling system. Besides that the cooling system can handle it no problem.

Quick Reply: Ignition system tune up