Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Ignition switch repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 08:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ignition switch repair

So about a week ago I go out to leave for work. Stick my key in the ignition lock and it turns with no resistance, no clicks, and no lights coming on in the dash. "Crap" I say. Lock assembly fubar. Take the wifes car to work and pick up a new lock on the way home. Take the old lock out, hmmm, gee it seems okay but what ever. Install new lock, same problem. Damn! Okay then, must be the switch itself. Okay where it that thing? (Remember when the ignition switch was right on the end of the key lock?) So strip the column down, find the switch, unscrew it from the column and lo and behold it works fine. Operate it by hand and the truck starts just as reliably as it always does.
So to get to the point-- there appears (obviously) to be some kind of linkage between the key lock and the switch internal to the upper column that is fubar. I haven't been able to find an exploded view and my cheesy Chilton manual only addresses lock and switch replacement.
Has anyone had to perform this repair?

'96 F150, 5.0L, AT, non-tilt steering wheel. Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a rod that connects the lock to the switch. They are prone to wear and breaking. I don't have an exploded view to share, but maybe someone else can post one - this has been covered in previous posts, and if I remember right there were some diagrams shown.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:05 PM
corey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the piece that sounds like it broke is a pain in the but. cant remember the name of it. but its about a 4 inch long piece of metal. it is what you lock and cylinders are connected to. but be careful when taking it apart. a bunch of little parts are in there.

Last edited by 91351; 04-22-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:03 PM
90 f150 inline 6

ok so i just had this happen to me. The part is called an ignition actuator. its kind off a pain to fix but here is a link to a break down of the repair. just be sure to take note or pics off how i all comes apart
good luck http://chrisb.users.superford.org/Br...ng_Column.html
Old 04-22-2009, 07:05 PM
90 f150 inline 6

just realized you have a newer and non tilt truck not sure how similer they are
Old 04-22-2009, 09:26 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Hmmm - that actuator is the right part - a junk casting POS-looking dealer part. I just don't recall having to go through quite so much disassembly.

The key / lock cylinder has to come out, the steering wheel comes off, the turn signal lever and plastic switch assembly has to be moved out of the way - but don't recall much more - certainly know I didn't drop the steering column or remove any bearings. Ahh, but it has been a few years and a few beers ago. I do have the tilt column - no messing with that, just set it in the centered position.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:33 PM

Thanks fellas. Sounds like something I'm going to have to dedicate some time to. I kinda' thought when I realized what was going on that it was not going to be an off the shelf fix. Nice to know I don't have to drop the steering column. Still, it seems that Ford maybe over-engineered the ignition mechanism a little bit.

Quick Reply: Ignition switch repair