Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Ignition issues

Old 12-05-2016, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition issues

I have a good buddy has a 89 f150 well what the problem is,there is some kind of bar on the top of the steering column & it broke.He is able to take something & slide it forward to start but then he has noway to shut it off.I'm looking for ideas on how to fix this.I've Google it & have saw it's a common issue but haven't figured out what to do t to resolve this.We were thinking maybe a kill switch.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thank you.BTW it dis whenever he let's off the ignition bar

Last edited by johnny.rotten; 12-05-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:34 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

I would simply replace the piece that is broken. If I remember right it's called the ignition actuator. It is a bit of a complicated job. I replaced the one in my 88 F-150 twice. I wouldn't try it myself without detailed instructions. They can be found on the internet. Be sure to put some sort of grease lubrication on the new piece or it will likely break again in short order.

If you don't feel comfortable replacing this yourself, check around and see if you can find a mechanic to do it for you. I realize it's your buddy's truck.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:22 PM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Actuator went south on my 93, i researched a bunch and it seems it more than likely has to come out the engine bay, i'm not at all interested in that, i chose to pull the ignition switch out and have it accessible, as you can see i'm kinda in the middle of bypassing it in favour of toggle switches and a start button, just need to get around to figuring out how to wire up the toggle switches, the start stop button is functional, but i need to slide the switch into run mode still.

Old 12-07-2016, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's kinda what we were trying to do with the toggle switch.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:56 PM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Wow! Never thought of doing that....several switches wired in such a way that they have to be in certain positions for the ignition to be "ON". Then a momentary push button for the starter. Now that's a theft deterrent if I've ever seen one.

Search this Thread