Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Ignition Control Module??

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 12:19 AM
Huh?

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ignition Control Module??

Well couple days ago i went out and started my truck up and it just ran like crap.. when i started driving it it was stumbling and acting like it was trying to die untill i got it up to speed then it ran fine.. after it got warmed up it would run okay.. so I took one of my plug wires off and stuck it on a spark plug i had laying around and had a buddy hit the ignition for a second.. I was only getting a weak orange spark.. so i figured somthing was wrong with my ignition somewhere.. but i didnt have time to mess with it right then.. then today i was driving and it would just cut out even after i was up to speed and it was warm.. it would cut out for like 2 or 3 seconds then start running again.. so i drove it straight home.. and cut it off.. i came in and ate lunch and decided to figure out what was going on.. but when i went back outside the truck wont start at all.. So im thinking because i had the weak spark before it died it might have been the ICM?? what do you guys think??
Old 10-05-2009, 12:22 AM
Grabber Green Consultant

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it could have a bad ignition module or a bad TFI Module...but i would lean more towards an ignition module. first id test the other plugs as well and see what you get from them.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:23 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

I'd have it tested. If it's the distributor mounted type you need a special tool to remove it, commonly available at the auto parts store in the tool aisle.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:31 AM
Huh?

It is mounted on the side of the distributor.. but i changed one on my buddys ranger that was the same way and didnt have to have any special tool.. i just took 2 bolts out and it slide down and came off.. of course i guess i was maybe suppose to havone and didnt know it??
Old 10-05-2009, 12:41 AM
Grabber Green Consultant

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheLoudestSilence
It is mounted on the side of the distributor.. but i changed one on my buddys ranger that was the same way and didnt have to have any special tool.. i just took 2 bolts out and it slide down and came off.. of course i guess i was maybe suppose to havone and didnt know it??
nope on the 4.9L where it is mounted to the dizzy, all it is is 2 screws and it comes right off, no special tool needed...as for the v8's im honestly not sure.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:44 AM
We'd do it

The special tool is a thin wall socket, most sockets don't fit. You must have a socket that does fit, you just saved $15.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Huh?

Ok.. Update..

The trucks starts again now.. out of the blue.. i let it sit for like 3 days then I went out to move it and was going to push it but i figured what the hell ill see if it starts.. And it did..

But still I knew somthing was wrong so i took the ICM off and took it to auto zone to be tested.. they said it was good.. but i thought maybe it was the heat that made it stop working so I bought one anyway..

I havent put it on yet... but I got to thinking.. maybe its my coil or somthing else? They said the ICM was good... and alot of people have told me 80% a ICM works or it doesnt work..

What would you guys say? ICM or coil? or somthing completly different.. If this doesnt sound like the ICM Im going to return it so i dont want to install the ICM yet If mine might be perfectly good as it is
Old 10-11-2009, 05:30 PM
We'd do it

Have them test the ICM several times in a row. This will heat it up and if the heat makes it stop working then that will happen.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Huh?

Well I ended up installing the new one anyway.. My mom ran off with my old one in her car.. So i put the new one on to test the coil.. I took the wire going from coil to the dist cap and put a old sparkplug on the end that goes to dist cap.. had my brother hit the ignition I still got a orange spark.. granted the plug was old.. but im think that the wire coming from coil to dist is suppose to have alot more power than the normal plug wires right?? I may be wrong but I would expect a nice blue spark even from an older plug when its plugged directly to the coil.. And this was with a new ICM
Old 10-11-2009, 05:53 PM
We'd do it

It should spark the same as from a plug wire, it just does it fast to supply all of the plugs. The color of the spark should be the same old or new, as long as the gap is right.

Quick Reply: Ignition Control Module??