Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

I need some help with the fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I need some help with the fuel pump?

Ok, so I have a 1987 4.9L fuel injected, dual tank f150:

So iv been driving it for about 3 years with no big problems but the other morning I went to start it and it turned over realy slow, so I replaced the battery, same thing, replaced starter now it turned over fast but wouldent start. I checked the plugs (they where fine) and then the H.P fuel pump, I took it off the truck and tested it, it ran fine, I pluged it back in nothin it wont run. So i think it might be the fussable link or maybe the fuel pump relay, but i dont have a clue where eather are (I do have a Chilton repair manule but it says nothing about this) so if any one knows what the problem is or where I can find the fuel pump relay or fussable link that would be awsome!

Thanks.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:15 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Relays are on the side of the air box, fusible links are bolted to the starter solenoid.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you turn the key to the postion just before the starter engages do you hear the fuel pump run at all?
Old 05-13-2009, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same exact problem. It was the fuel pump relay as stated above. It started draining my battery and also made a strange clicking noise that I could not locate or identify. I believe it was a dealer item.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lms2013
I had the same exact problem. It was the fuel pump relay as stated above. It started draining my battery and also made a strange clicking noise that I could not locate or identify. I believe it was a dealer item.
Ok, i think i found the relay (its the two small black boxes screwed onto the side of the air filter?), well i couldent get them to get unpluged ? so i tested the wires and it is getting power but i dont know for sure becuase the wont come off the plug?

So if this is the right thing then let me know and, they do make a clicking nose but i thought it was supposed to?

thanks

Quick Reply: I need some help with the fuel pump?