Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

i need to kno how to replace oil pan gasket

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need to kno how to replace oil pan gasket

hey guys i have a 90 f150 with a 300-6 5 speed 4x4 i have an oil leak and was told it could be an oil pan or valve cover gasket i was wondering how to replace those 2 gasket on my truck
Old 01-20-2010, 11:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a 90 f150 2wd with a 302 and i had to jack the motor up a few inches, unbolt the exaust unbolt the pan and then i could slip the new gasket in. there is no easy way of doing it in a 4x4. the valve cover gasket isnt bad because theres only one and there is plenty of room to work. i replaced the valve cover gasket in my 86 with the straight 6 and it took about a hour start to finish and that included cleaning the cover and puting a fresh coat of paint. hope that helps.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:20 PM

i have an 89 4x4 with a 5.0 liter when i had mine replaced a buddy of mine did it and it took him about 5 hours. if that helps any
Old 01-21-2010, 03:51 PM

where can u jack the motor up from if ur needing to take the oil pan off and do u have to take it all the way off to replace it or not?
Old 01-21-2010, 04:06 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

1.) Secure jack up to oil pan with block of wood.
2.) Unbolt motor mounts and anything else that may get in the way (exhaust, starter, etc)
3.) Jack up oil pan until you can fit two small pieces of 2x4" or something similar under the motor mounts.
4.) Lower motor back down slowly so it rests on wood blocks.
5.) Now you can access the oil pan. You shouldn't have to take it the whole way off, but if you need to the instructions above should give you plenty of room to do it either way.

Also, make sure when you are jacking that nothing penetrates the firewall. That's why removing the starter can be a good idea sometimes and its not much extra work.

This process isn't much fun, so if there is any doubt about your oil pump or oil pan, replace them now!

Last edited by burnthelight88; 01-21-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

here is how you do it....

1) put the front end on Jack Stand...closest to the tires....

2) drain the oil from the oil pan....

3) loosen and take out the motor mount bolts...

4) using a Cherry-Picker/Engine hoist jack the engine up off the mounts...

5) take out all the oil pan bolts except 1 front and 1 rear bolt....then when all others are out using 1 hand to hold the pan take out the other 2 remaining bolts and then slide the pan down and out...

if the engine isnt up high enough it will NOT clear the pickup tube on the oil pump...you will NOT have to take the exhaust off on the 300-6 nor the intake manifold...

6) Clean and inspect the pan and check for over torqued bolt hole and re-dimple if necessary...

7) using the supplied gasket set use the plastic screw in clips screw them in the front most and rear most bolt holes...these hold the gasket and then the pan in place...

8) Slide the gasket on over the plastic clips...

9) making sure the pan is clean Especially on the mating surface slide the pan up on the clips and secure...

10) Starting in the MIDDLE side of the pan start the bolts and when they are ALL started start teh tightening sequence from the middle and work circular outwards
Old 01-21-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by dr_bowtie
here is how you do it....

1) put the front end on Jack Stand...closest to the tires....

2) drain the oil from the oil pan....

3) loosen and take out the motor mount bolts...

4) using a Cherry-Picker/Engine hoist jack the engine up off the mounts...

5) take out all the oil pan bolts except 1 front and 1 rear bolt....then when all others are out using 1 hand to hold the pan take out the other 2 remaining bolts and then slide the pan down and out...

if the engine isnt up high enough it will NOT clear the pickup tube on the oil pump...you will NOT have to take the exhaust off on the 300-6 nor the intake manifold...

6) Clean and inspect the pan and check for over torqued bolt hole and re-dimple if necessary...

7) using the supplied gasket set use the plastic screw in clips screw them in the front most and rear most bolt holes...these hold the gasket and then the pan in place...

8) Slide the gasket on over the plastic clips...

9) making sure the pan is clean Especially on the mating surface slide the pan up on the clips and secure...

10) Starting in the MIDDLE side of the pan start the bolts and when they are ALL started start teh tightening sequence from the middle and work circular outwards
i was wanting to kno how to do it without a engine hoise cuz i dont have 1 nor no any1 that has 1
Old 01-21-2010, 07:08 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

if you have access to a floor jack then use the floor jack under the oil pan...just use wood as the buffer...

jack up the engine....open the hood and with 2 2x4s attach a chain to one side of the engine....wrap the chain around the 2x4 twice and pull it tight and secure it to the other side of the engine....lower the floor jack and make sure the engine is secure...

I will have to say...this way can be done but isnt as safe as I would like...you MUST make sure you use adequate 2x4s and make sure the chain is VERY secure and bolted to the engine with NO chance of coming off...
Old 01-21-2010, 08:25 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Safety first, I wouldn't do it without a hoist. Hands and fingers are hard to replace.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

I have read Chiltons manual that suggest doing this for various things...like changing the tranny is a Doge Caravan...

Quick Reply: i need to kno how to replace oil pan gasket