Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

I can't disconnect fuel lines from the tank

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can't disconnect fuel lines from the tank

I have a 1995, 2wd,standard F150 with a straight six, and extra-cab, and am trying to remove the mid-ship fuel tank.

I've been able to drop the tank, and remove all the connections from the tank, except the fuel line that flows from the tank, through the filter to the engine.

I am using a scissor-type #3321 fuel connnection tool from NAPA/ServiceTools. It worked well enough to dis-connect the return line, but I can't get the engine fuel-supply line to come off the tank.

I just sit there and fuss. The tool goes in, and I can feel it pressing against something, as though it is depressing the metal locking mechanism, and yet the connection won't come apart.

Oh, and the fuel line is a flexible, steel-web encased hose, which I have been able to rotate on the connection, so I think that means the connection isn't corroded together, but maybe I'm wrong.

Please help! Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 07-30-2009, 03:24 PM

I had to use one of these... http://www.mytoolstore.com/astro/7881.jpg

A Ford Dealership mechanic le me (a perfect stranger) take his kit home and return it the next day. I wonder if you need one of these?
Old 07-30-2009, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the idea. They look similar to what I have, but I see there are four different ones. Are they different diameters, or do they go into the hole further depths from one another?

The scissor type I am using has two different diameters, which both fit in the hole ok.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:38 PM

I believe it was different diameters. And I remember him telling me it was the Blue one.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:18 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Try pushing the fuel line on as far as it will go. Insert tool to feel the garter spring, push the tool in further to get under the spring with out pulling on the line, after the tool is in as far as it goes then pull straight back with the line. They tend to **** and thus the spring grabs the beading on the pump.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:35 PM

OK, Got it! Thank you both for your help. - I next went on to the next step of my job - taking off what remains of the front leaf spring bracket.

My whole chore arises because the front bracket for the driver side leaf spring broke, left side of the truck sank, and the jagged metal of half the bracket was resting nicely against my fuel tank fill pipe . (Upon looking at it afterwards, I see that one side had been partially "torn" for some time, cause it's rusted - probably before I bought it a couple months ago.)

I couldn't work up in there with the tank in the way, so off it came.

Anyway, once I got the tank off, and took off the old bracket's bolts' heads with a grinder, I pounded away at the headless "bolts", and began to fear they may actually be rivets and be welded to the inside of the frame- right next to all those nice fuel lines and brake lines. Hmmmm.....
Old 07-30-2009, 08:58 PM

I've had a pretty easy time with rivets. I just grind the heads flush then punch them through.

Glad to hear about the tank line.

Quick Reply: I can't disconnect fuel lines from the tank