Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

How to price your F150 for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 11:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How to price your F150 for sale?

Hi, Guys - looking for some advice here on what value I should list my F150 for sale? It's the pickup in my profile pic. 1995 F150 XL, Inline 6, 186xxx miles, manual trans, cruise, tilt wheel.

Here's the good:

-Had it almost 3 years now and no major problems whatsoever
-Paid almost $1500 for a completely new AC system at a local shop. Has worked brilliantly ever since. Great investment for the San Antonio Texas heat
-Had complete tuneup after buying it: new plugs, wires, distrib cap, front brake pads, rear drums, new radiator, fluid flush, pcv valve, fuel filters, etc.
-New oil pressure sensor
-Manual trans fluid flush and refill
-New rear diff cover with rear diff oil flush and refill
-K&N air filter
-Master cyl replaced just before I bought it 3 years ago
-New battery
-Do all my oil changes. Never leaks a drop of oil. All the seals appear to be holding fine. Doesn't burn a drop of oil, either.
-Paint is still in great condition
-Everything works: wipers/washer fluid, cruise, horn, spedo, gauges, blinkers, brake lights, cargo light, headlamps, etc.
-No error lights. No codes being shown on my OBD1 code reader
-Clean title

Here's the bad:

-Needs new muffler/cat (found various shops in San Antonio that quoted under $250 for new muff/cat installed/welded). Muffler and cat works, just needs to be replaced because it's old and rusty. Nothing affecting driveability yet.
-Power steering pump seems to leak very slightly and is whiny. I've read, though, that these trucks are naturally whiny. I only see a drop or two on occasion, so it's not an urgent replacement at all.
-Needs front windshield due to very large cracks
-Bench seat has about a 4" rip on driver's side but is not faded or anything. A saddle blanket seat cover would take care of it I suppose. The floor covering in completely intact and looks great.
-Dash pad is cracked in a 2" area
-Usual dents, dings, scratches for 22-year-old pickup
-Needs new tires. Good tread but they're about 6-year-old tires

Summary:

I paid $2,000 for it, but have easily put in about an additional $3,000 since buying it making the above repairs and replacements. I know you can't get back what you've put into something like this, but I've been searching prices for comparable trucks like this and they seem to be ALL over the place! I've seen them advertised for as high as $7000 and as low as $2000.

Any opinions as to what a fair asking price should be for this old beauty?

Last edited by Leaf_Chaser; 02-19-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:51 AM

Received 239 Likes on 141 Posts

With everything that it still needs, you can probably get back what you originally paid for it. Just because someone asks $7,000 for their 22 year old truck doesn't mean they'll get it unless it's in very good condition.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:21 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The good things you list is considered maintenance and adds no value . The bad reduces value . It's only worth what someone will pay knowing its flaws . Less than 2K in my area .
Old 02-19-2017, 07:33 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Shortbox with air and cruise probably 1500 to 2000. If there's no rust because of where you live, if it was certified and e-tested you might get 3000 to 4000 - trucks that don't need anything to be put on the road are a different ball game price wise.
You could spend a few bucks getting it certified or just try to get your purchase price back and absorb the 1000 a year you spent on it as the cost of running a truck. That would be cheap compared to the cost of running a newer one for 3 years. You do have to spend money on newer ones just to keep them up - and they depreciate like crazy even just sitting in the driveway. So you're still ahead.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably get good money for it hear in Michigan. You should have seen my 95 I bought as a winter beater. Wasn't a spot on it that was rust free. I know you won't be selling it here. I was just making a point. It's a nice truck..

Last edited by tommy23490; 02-20-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know what e-test and certification are, but it always passes inspection here in Texas and has no emission issues. No rust, either. It's a great driver, but I just got a new job requiring a different type of vehicle, so I'm going to let ole blue go to a new home.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:48 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Rust Free 1995 F150 Regular Cab Short Box truck. Well maintained clean truck in very good mechanical condition. Asking 3500.00
I'd start there - easier to go down than up in price.