Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

How long of coils?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 12:54 AM
kweezy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How long of coils?

When i bought my truck it came with a 3" body lift and a 4" lift. The truck sits way lower in the front and its starting to bug me because it looks ridiculous and my tires rub when i get into certain situations. So... I need to find out how long my coils are so i can get some that are a couple inches bigger. I'm trying to avoid taking them out until i swap the new ones in. I think its a pro comp lift but not sure. Any input is welcome
Old 04-15-2009, 01:32 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

The coils should be sold by amount of lift, not length. If you jack up the front of the truck by the frame until the suspension is at full droop you can measure the length of the coil if you want.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 6" lift on my 95. It also sagged in front really bad, its just what fords do. So I just shaved the blocks for the rear leaf springs and it leveled it out just fine.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:12 AM

I duno if this would be somthin you would wanna do but I have a buddy thats got a '91 150 4" lift and he put spacers in the front springs to make it level, downfall is with his dual shock setup the springs come back and hit the shocks when he jumps it, I duno if ya jump yer truck but he does and thats what happens lol. looks good tho.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:51 AM
Built Ford Tough

its simple, really , u have a 4" lift than you have 4"lift coils, id get some 6" lift coils and you'll be set those are most likely the next size , don't use those spacers in your coils if you off road, they'll fall or shoot out, and they just don't seem to be a good idea.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:25 PM

You could use a Daystar leveling kit. You can Pick them up for like $50.00 on ebay. One problem you might run into adding more spring or a Daystar kit, is it would most likely throw off your camber. You would need to get a set of camber eccentrics to fix that, then take it in and get an alignment.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:29 AM

the spacers Im talkin bout wrap round 2 whole coils, thay never have flew out and we jump the crap out of the truck, there not the little spacers that never stay in never use those haha. make sure to get drop brakets for everything up front, you can only set yer camber in so much
Old 04-17-2009, 09:38 AM
Built Ford Tough

Yeah , wasn't sure there's a lot of spacers/leveling kits out there these days, ive had bad experiences with them though, even those daystar, puck type things, after a few yaers they broke, plus if anyone is going to use there rig for true fourwheelin, the spacers level kits only allow for bigger tires they will not help your trucks articulation, it'll make ure truck look bigger but in fact it does nothing to make you suspension bigger or have more travel. i'd only use em for pavment pounding. heck u can get bigger coil springs for under 200 and u get the lift and u have a more functionable suspension, with more travel.
IMnot knockin anyone wth the level kits, ive had em myself , but this guy sounds like hes off raodin, with the lift already,
Old 04-17-2009, 09:40 AM
Built Ford Tough

ShelsDad84 thats one clean 4x4 i dont see many 4 bys up here in Michigan that clean , u must be from down south huh?..nice truck though....
Old 04-18-2009, 07:33 PM
kweezy

Originally Posted by dono16
its simple, really , u have a 4" lift than you have 4"lift coils, id get some 6" lift coils and you'll be set those are most likely the next size , don't use those spacers in your coils if you off road, they'll fall or shoot out, and they just don't seem to be a good idea.
Well i really didn't know what the previous owner put in for the coils. I just assumed that the front had 4" of lift because the rear blocks are almost 4 inches, but the truck still sags significantly so i figured he could have just put in whatever springs he had laying around so it would be "good enough" If they are indeed 4" then getting 6" would work great, but if they are less than 4 the new ones might be too long, or visa versa

Quick Reply: How long of coils?