Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

how do you set timing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you set timing?

i have a 1987 F-150 with a 302 in it i just finish putting a cam in to it and a new Timing set. i got it to run but its off i think the timing off if you have any other ideas plz tell me!!
Old 04-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Dark Overlord of Planet X

what makes you think that the timing is off? If it is loping maybe you put in the right cam! Just kidding. Do you mean ignition timing or cam timing? If the cam timing is off you have to tear the front cover back off and reallign the timing chain set.

Real basic instructions for ignition timing: find the timing marks (clean them or mark them if you have too), loosen distributor, unplug the little jumper thingy (two wires that run out of the distributor, there is a little connector that connects the two wires so that they run in a circle), fire up the engine, and aim light at marks. Twist cap so that the pointer lines up with the marks. Don't forget to tighten up the distributor when you are done.

No I am not being sarcastic. If you can change the cam you should be able to set the timing. It is kind of hard to explain in words though.

If you didn't change the truck over to Mass Air, it may not "like" the bigger cam.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:20 AM

it the ignition timing the my be stooped but i cant fined the timing marks and i dint thing the is a MAF
Old 04-19-2008, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by &erZ
it the ignition timing the my be stooped but i cant fined the timing marks and i dint thing the is a MAF
What?

Anyways, the timing marks are on the harmonic balancer. There should be a bunch of lines with a 0 mark and probably 10 15 and 20 BTDC. Mark the one that you need (if the truck calls for 6 BTDC find that line (approx.) and mark it with white out or the old ladies finger nail polish. That way you can see it when you use the timing light.

Sorry if I am not very helpful... like I said, it is just kind of hard to put into words.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:48 AM

[quote=RyKR;68058]
No I am not being sarcastic. If you can change the cam you should be able to set the timing. It is kind of hard to explain in words though.

quote]

This was a disclaimer before I was accused of mocking somebody. I wasn't implying that anyone was stupid. I meant that if you have the mechanical know-how to change a cam, setting the timing should be fairly easy to pick up.

What kind of cam did you put in it? Specs. and details? This way someone else can tell you if you will expect problems with the speed density. I am not sure what is acceptable with that management system.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:58 AM

o see my teacher told me there was marks on the timing caver so i code not find that but thank you and it was a comp cam and i cant find the pace paper that rote the specs down on but thank you
Old 02-12-2011, 10:31 PM

i have a 95 f150 i just replaced the distibutor in and now i cant get the pinging in acceleration to stop any ideas pls
Old 02-13-2011, 04:05 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by denreki
i have a 95 f150 i just replaced the distibutor in and now i cant get the pinging in acceleration to stop any ideas pls
Start your own thread. It keeps things from getting confused.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:07 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by &erZ
o see my teacher told me there was marks on the timing caver so i code not find that but thank you and it was a comp cam and i cant find the pace paper that rote the specs down on but thank you
You know you have to remove the SPOUT plug to read &/or adjust base time?

See link: http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/show...ht=timing+bump

Last edited by ymeski56; 02-13-2011 at 04:11 PM.

Quick Reply: how do you set timing?