Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

how do u replace a valve cover gasket

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do u replace a valve cover gasket

i have a 90 f150 with a 4.9l i-6 i was wondering how hard of a job it wuld b to replace the valve cover gasket wat all need to come off and how to take em off any help wuld b great thanks
Old 03-26-2010, 09:08 PM
'94 F-150 VHO 347 stroker

Take bolts out of valve cover. Remove said cover. Get old gasket off. Clean both surfaces (cover and head). Place new gasket on head (if it won't stay in place use a LITTLE grease to hold it). Put bolts in and tighten, do not over tighten. If you buy good gaskets that have a metal ring around bolt holes just tighten til it stops then stop tightening. If you put valve cover studs in the head its alot easier. You can buy them from O'Reilly's for about $6.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by thomaslord84
Take bolts out of valve cover. Remove said cover. Get old gasket off. Clean both surfaces (cover and head). Place new gasket on head (if it won't stay in place use a LITTLE grease to hold it). Put bolts in and tighten, do not over tighten. If you buy good gaskets that have a metal ring around bolt holes just tighten til it stops then stop tightening. If you put valve cover studs in the head its alot easier. You can buy them from O'Reilly's for about $6.
wat all has to come off in order to get it to be able to come off? like intake manifild throttle body or air box?
Old 03-26-2010, 10:04 PM
'94 F-150 VHO 347 stroker

On the 300 straight 6 the valve cover is on the very top in the middle of the motor I believe. The intake manifold will be on one side of the motor and the exhaust manifold will be on the other side. All of the intake components should hang off of the side of the motor and go straight to the filter. You might have to move some wires out of the way but that's it. If you have the 302 you have to remove the intake tubes up to the throttle body, the upper intake plenum, and there are 3 wire connections to unplug, and the vacuum lines, and the bracket that holds up the ignition coil and vacuum switches.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remove the PCV valve from the top of the valve cover

Disconnect the clean air tube from the valve cover mounted oil filler cap or filter assembly

Remove the Upper Intake Manifold
Remove the accelerator cable and cruise control cable

Mark and detach Vacumn hoses from the vacumn tree

Rewove 2 bolts holding EGR- to the Intake Manifold

Remove Upper Intake Manifold Bolts (1/2in)

Remove Bolt holding Bracket from Intake to Head

Remove Upper Intake Manifold

Remove Valve cover Bolts

Remove Valve Cover

Clean mating surfaces and install is the Reverse

Hope this helps if this is your first time removing the Upper Intake It will take a couple hours but it is rather easy. I've done it 4-5 times and Im only 16

Last edited by cfl3794; 03-26-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:50 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Yep, except to clarify you only need to remove the UPPER intake manifold. Much easier to get off too.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by cfl3794
Remove the PCV valve from the top of the valve cover

Disconnect the clean air tube from the valve cover mounted oil filler cap or filter assembly

Remove the Upper Intake Manifold
Remove the accelerator cable and cruise control cable

Mark and detach Vacumn hoses from the vacumn tree

Rewove 2 bolts holding EGR- to the Intake Manifold

Remove Upper Intake Manifold Bolts (1/2in)

Remove Bolt holding Bracket from Intake to Head

Remove Upper Intake Manifold

Remove Valve cover Bolts

Remove Valve Cover

Clean mating surfaces and install is the Reverse

Hope this helps if this is your first time removing the Upper Intake It will take a couple hours but it is rather easy. I've done it 4-5 times and Im only 16
thanks this is exactly wat i was hoping someone wuld do and yes this is my first time doin this
Old 03-28-2010, 08:59 AM

i finally did mine, after leaking for years, when i had to replace my intake gasket. went ahead and did the upper and lower gaskets, plus the injector seals. was a real job, took all day, but was well worth it. the valve cover gasket has leaked so long that it had deteriated the rubber on the wires at the back of the engine that feed the injectors, dont know how it was running. anyway fixed now for quite a while and havent had any problems.

Quick Reply: how do u replace a valve cover gasket