Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

How bad could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How bad could it be?

Hello everybody, I am a n00b with f150s and trucks in general

I am currently looking to buy 1996 F150 2wd 302 automatic, and I found one close by for a reasonable amount of $$ (just a bit higher than a scrap value).
Truck was rarely driven for the last 3 years, oil was changed though.
No rust, accidents and no AC as well (switch does not turn to cold). Around 200k (carfax confirms).
Test drove it. Transmission kicks/bangs when switching to reverse and shifts a bit jerky. Brakes are pulsing. Makes all kind of suspension noises (cracked bushings everywhere), but shocks are fine. Passenger door rattles against the body. Around 55mph it feels like the truck is floating (under inflated tires do not help much). Does not overheat or leak. All electrical stuff works.

I am a bit mechanically inclined (never did engine or transmission rebuild though) and have tools. I want to buy it as a restoration project/home depot truck, since I am in the (slow) process of house renovation.

Here is the video of the running engine

Current owner is not desperate to sell at all. He owns bunch of properties and uses the truck accordingly.

Should I go for it? Anything REALLY critical I should check for?
Old 08-05-2015, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the money is right then go for it. Its a hit or miss with these trucks, some run forever with little repairs and some are in the shop every other week. The tranny clunking into gear could just be low trans fluid, or it could be something more major. Keep in mind its a 19 year old truck and it will have creeks and squeeks. If it is rust free then I would say its worth it, up here in Massachusetts youre lucky to find a rusted out f150 for less than $1000. Sitting causes rotting, which would explain front suspension creeks. Replace some bushings and ball joints if it needs it and you should be good. Also the power steering pumps and steering gearbox's go bad so if the steering isnt tight and the wheel has a lot of play ( most old fords have plenty of play in the steering wheel ) then keep in mind it may need steering work.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:29 PM

Owner swears by the truck. Always starts, never got stranded.
Couple more opinions and I will become one of you guys
Truck is from Mississippi/Florida.
Speaking of Massachusetts, I've recently seen a 2000 F150 from there. Asking 2k for 200k, when I opened the hood there was a nice layer of rust everywhere and chunks of rusted off metal. I said I am sorry and left

This truck starts with a wrench shorting contacts haha, this little thing under the hood near battery on the passenger side does not work.
Does the engine in the video sound normal?

Last edited by jamesonnicholas0; 08-05-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:56 PM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

If price is just over scrap value can't really go wrong. I would never buy one of these trucks to restore, unless it held some sentimental value.
Way more cost effective to wait and find a survivor in premier condition.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:28 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

That motor doesn't sound very happy.
But if the body is good, plenty of people would simply plan on putting a fresh drive line in it and then you basically have a pretty good truck.
Of course, we haven't actually seen the actual truck yet, where's the pics of that ?
Old 08-05-2015, 09:07 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If I was buyingit I'd def put a new motor in it. But I wouldn't buy it lol cause 2wheel just don't work for my life style. I wouldn't even be able to make it up my drive way haha. Just be ready to spend a lot of money and time on that truck u could just save the money ur going to spend on fixing it and get ahalf decent 4wd good luck buddy
Old 08-05-2015, 11:11 PM

I don't need 4x4. Just a home depot trips truck.
The price is $1k for this one, didn't take many pictures. The rest of the truck is in the similar condition.

Different "everything done and rebuilt" (by who?) truck is being sold for $3k not so far away.

Speaking of engine sound, what is wrong? Truck got to 55mph rather easily. Owner did all maintenance at some shop, he is not interested in working on cars.

Last edited by jamesonnicholas0; 08-05-2015 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:39 PM

Well after much consideration and calculations, I am going to pass on that truck. It will take way too long and too many expenses to get it into acceptable condition.

Plus after listening to some videos, I realised that the engine is actually knocking on the passenger side.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:01 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

U made a good choice I think.. Keep ur eyes open ull find a better one

Quick Reply: How bad could it be?