Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Hope someone can help me out

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hope someone can help me out

I'v got a 90 Ford F-150. I was out goofing off in some mud tonight and my buddy got stuck so I pulled him out. Well when I went to put it back into 2 wheel drive it won't go. It's an automatic and it's got the 4*4 shifter on the floor and now all the way down it seems like is 4 wheel drive and then you click it back where 4 wheel drive used to be and it stays in 4 wheel drive. And instead of moving it to the left a little and back to nuetral it's just straight back is nuetral. I'v tried backing up and messing with it and it didn't work and I'v tried it with the key off and moving it. Didn't work. I'm running out of options.Not sure what I did but I hope it's fixable.
Any Ideas?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:48 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds like a linkage issue. Get underneath and watch the linkage as a buddy mooves it thru the range. Something is either jambing it or its disconnected somehow.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:53 AM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Aye, what Bill said. More then likely linkage from your description...
Old 10-22-2008, 03:31 PM

Default 4*4 problem

I'll try and get under it today and check it out. I'll post later tonight and let ya know what I figure out. Thanks for the help
Old 10-23-2008, 01:03 AM

k so i got under it today. Kinda hard to do it's been raining all day. But it wasn't all muddy or anything. So we disconected the link inbetween the two and we could put it in two wheel drive by hand. So we left it off. Any idea's on what it could be? I wonder if I stick the link back on them will it be ok now that it's in two wheel drive. Let me know what ya think or if you have a solution

Ryan
Old 10-23-2008, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check to see if a spring or other connection on the shift lever moved or fell out. Sounds like the shift lever is pulled sideways and not in the proper track. My truck calls for me to push the lever down to shift. If I do not allow it to pop back I cannot shift out of 4 by.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:21 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm not following you, by disconnecting the link from lever to shift shaft, you can get it to work. I'm in the dark, please clarify.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:02 AM

Default 4*4

K well here's how they explained it to me. It sounds like there is the link that shifts the transfer case and a link on the handle it's self. My buddy took the link out that was connecting those two and we could put it in two wheel drive by hand. My shifter goes 2h,4h, left and back too neutral and back to 4l. Now that we unhooked that the lever is pretty much just there. Can't really shift it now lol.If that linkage set up doesn't sound correct let me know. I could be wrong.I probably should take the handle off and look at it to see if somthing came undone. It's so cold it's unmotivating. But it's only going to get worse and I would like to get that 4 wheel drive working

Quick Reply: Hope someone can help me out