Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

HI Everyone! The Build of my '96 F150

Old 05-06-2011, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HI Everyone! The Build of my '96 F150

HEY EVERYONE!

My names Rich.

And I just finished my degree in economics which means I now get to finally spend $$$ on my truck hahahaha

It’s a long awaited present to myself! I got the truck back in high school when i was a sophomore, and have always wanted to throw a lift on it! I decided to wait till I finished college and now I'm finally done! Woo hoo!!!

So I have a ’96 F150 302 5.0 Liter 4x4 XLT SuperCab in which I love to DEATH!
I am wanting to throw a 6inch lift on it and either the BFG KM2’s or the A/T 35/12.5/R15’s!

I’ve done plenty of research but by posting this, I was hoping to be steered in a little better direction as I am about to lift my truck.

I really do no off roading, maybe every now and then taking the dirt bike out to the normal spot where it might some dirt roads, and really only use 4x4 in snow! Sadly it’s only going to be an “on-road” truck.

I was considering the Rough County or Tuff Country lift because of the inexpensive appeal. I have a buddy who works at a local shop who can hook me up with the pro-comp stage 1 for $750ish bucks and the Stage II for about $300 bucks more. Is it really worth to spend the extra $200ish bucks on the pro-comp lift rather than the other “cheaper” lifts?

Other than that here are a few questions:

Since it’s a 5.0 liter, I might have to re-gear because my truck is kind of a dog…163,000 miles on it...
-HOW DO I FIND OUT WHAT GEARING I HAVE?

With lifting it 6 inches, I might need to replace my brake lines.
- Do I do it if it’s only going to see road?

With the possible problems of the “Notorious IFS” should I spend the extra money and get the longer pitman/radius arm brackets?

-If I’m only going to drive on the road 99% of the time?

- Is it wrong of me to think they'll make a huge change afix and any possible alignment issues?

Do I get the dual steering stabilizers?

Where do I find fully adjustable camber sleeves?

Shocks – UPGRADE** AND GO WITH THE GAS SHOCKS RIGHT!??

Is there anything else you guys can think of with doing my first lift?

I hope everyone has a great day! Enjoy your weekend...
Oh and I’ll be posting pics of the whole transformation...PROMISE!

Rich
Old 05-07-2011, 12:21 AM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Congrats on graduating!!! Have you found a job yet? If so, I'd recommend waiting a month or two so you can nail down your new disposable income before throwing any money at the truck. Trust me, it's amazing the difference in how much it costs to live in the "real world" compared to college. If you find yourself with a significant amount of disposable income, it may be worth considering an upgrade before dropping $2k on your 95. Not hating, I had a 95 Bronco when I graduated.

That said, I wouldn't worry about spending the money on the Pro Comp Lift, but I would recommend the dropped pitman arm, and extended brake lines aren't necessarily mandatory, but are a very good idea. IIRC, the drop radius arm brackets are mainly for increase travel, which, for your intentions isn't necessary. BFGs are on the expensive side of the tire spectrum as will.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:58 PM

GATORB8 thank you good sir, indeed yes i found a myself a job! who do u think i got to pay for school

but i appreciate your ideas, makes me think and stay grounded! haha what did you end up doing with your bronco?
Old 05-08-2011, 07:58 PM
MUD~SLUT!!!

Congrats on graduating and the new job.

For a street truck I would definately stay with an All-Terrain tire.

For your gearing, I am going to guess you have 3.55 gears. I would reccomend at least 4.10's for the street. I run 4.56's on the street just fine with 35's, but for me there are times I wish I had went 4.88. There are gear ratio calcutators on the web to help you make your decision though. I will also say that to this point in my build (see sig) gears are the most helpful thing I have done, performance wise.

I found my adjustable camber bushings on eBay, or most anything for these trucks is on www.broncograveyard.com.

Most of what I have read on shocks is that the mono-tube shocks will give the best performance.

As for the lift, I would reccomend finding one in your price range that is a full kit. Then you don't have to worry bout needing something in the middle of it.

This is just my $.02, so take it for what it is worth. Start the pic whoring!
Old 05-08-2011, 10:33 PM

redneckcowboy28, thank you for the congrats i appreciate it i really do...which lift did you go with? and did you get the extended raidus arms or jus the longer brackets?

im checking out the website as we speak thank you for the link!
can you post a pic of your truck
Old 05-09-2011, 04:53 AM
MUD~SLUT!!!

I actually bought my truck with a 4" Pro-Comp lift. This included the extended radius arms. I don't have the extended brake lines as mine is only a 4" lift. I later changed out the front springs for a set of Rancho's, and the rear for a set of Superlift's. The spring change happened do to a sagging I could see, that turned out to be the shackle being bent. I had already bought parts, since I was overseas at the time, so they got changed. The next stage of my suspension is I will be doing a solid axle swap, when I return from overseas this time. Hope this helps, if you have more questions just ask I will answer any I can.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:39 AM

alright guys....so i ordered my tires i had a buddy hook me up!

i called to order the lift kit 1 PROBLEM!!!!! Darrell who was extremely helpful at RC, said i might want to think about going with the spring kit, being how my truck is a lot older, it would be wise to go with the spring kit rather than the blocks, do to time and the age of the truck (96 f150) the springs are older and hold their less tension and whatnot.

What do you guys think? is it worth it to order the springs rather then just blocks?
Old 05-13-2011, 11:11 AM
MUD~SLUT!!!

I prefer springs. They tend to cause less axle wrap, and IMO look better. The advise is solid though. Not only the age but if the truck ever pulled heavy trailers or had heavy loads in the bed will also wear on them.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:22 AM

Okay everyone.Heres an update on my truck. I ordered the Tuff Country Performance 6inch lift and gonna use the 35x12.5R15 BFG AT for my rubber.

Here are some teasers while its getting installed.
Attached Images     
Old 07-16-2011, 10:13 AM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Finished pics? ))

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HI Everyone! The Build of my '96 F150