Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Help me identify what I see under cowl

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 10:49 PM
Weekend Restorer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me identify what I see under cowl

I replaced the wiper motor today on my 1993 F150/XL and that all went well. However, all along the cavity under the cowl is something I'd like to identify. It looks like something that was part of factory assembly and probably ran the width of the cavity. As I was cleaning out the leaves, dirt and crap inside, pieces of this stuff were broken up and loose, serving no purpose. It is not super brittle, but breaks into easily with a bit of elasticity. If it was there to serve a purpose, I'd like to replace it. If it is just more garbage, I want to clean it all out. Can anyone help with what this is? The close up is of the actual "stuff" I'm talking about. The other photo is of the "cavity" under the cowl. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Help me identify what I see under cowl-img_0761.jpg   Help me identify what I see under cowl-img_0759.jpg  
Old 10-13-2016, 11:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Plasticized 23 year old bird guano would be my guess.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:49 AM

Received 260 Likes on 190 Posts

It looks like something to keep noise down. Sound proofing? Just a guess
Old 10-14-2016, 12:55 PM
Weekend Restorer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More info

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I forgot to mention that this "stuff" is at the bottom of the cavity (under the cowl) which made me originally think it was some kind of sealant. But since that would hinder water flowing out to the side, I doubt it would be sealant or insulation. And since it is not random enough to be bird poo (it seems to have run the entire width of that cavity/trough), it makes me think it is intentional. Still wondering...
Old 10-14-2016, 06:23 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Every cowl I have removed from 80's through 96 has this material. It is the same as the stuff in cab corners and after it gets old it no longer seals and causes rust. I think it is to keep air noise from under the cowl or whistling effect. Removed it many times to never noticed a difference .
Old 09-02-2017, 05:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My cowl cover looked like it had a soft foam gasket at one point but it had embrittled and most of it was gone - likely the material down in that cavity.

Quick Reply: Help me identify what I see under cowl