Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Help me!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me!!

So I have an 88 f150 with a 302 and a five speed with dual tanks I can't get it to run right it idles fine and I can rev it fine but when i put it in gear and start driving it idles down and if I rev it a bit I can keep it running sometimes other times It dies I put a new tank selector because it burnt up then it wasnt getting fuel so i replaced a fuel pump in it the one under the cab that I believe to be a low pressure pump I also replaced fuel filter air cleaners fuel pressure regulator fuel pump relay distributor and I started replacing plugs because they looked fouled out even though they were a year old it does have true duals so no cats I was wondering if I need to drop the tanks I don't know if they both have pumps in them or not back tank has never worked and their is a small crack in the small pipe where the o2 sensor is i might weld it d replace o2 sensor I have spent over 500 on parts fixing it and I paid 500 for the truck 4 years ago and never had a problem till now
Old 11-29-2016, 11:22 PM
Trying to figure it out!

Received 677 Likes on 494 Posts

Maybe take it somewhere for diagnosis. Could have saved a lot of money not throwing parts at a problem you're not sure of.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:02 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

Welcome to the site!
Your model year came with a low-pressure fuel pump in each tank, and a high pressure pump along the frame rail, about under the parking brake pedal. IIRC, the low pressure pump is hard to get nowadays, so some resort to putting a high pressure pump from the later model years in the tank and doing away with the one along the frame rail.
Suggest to pull the codes to see if anything has been flagged.
Suggest to check your fuel pressure at the rail - should maintain 35-45 psi
With your comment of the near-fouled plugs, wondering whether there may be a leak in the vacuum line to the manifold air pressure (MAP) sensor, or an erratic sensor? Your leak near the O2 sensor or a bad O2 sensor may also contribute to plug condition. This is where the code-pulling and additional inspection will hopefully give some direction at minimal cost.
Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:11 PM

Received 2,224 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Does this model have an IAC?