Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Help! Gas leaks out of gas cap

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Gas leaks out of gas cap

'94 with duel fuel tanks. When I switch to front tank, I hear whining noise, but works. Fuel guage does not work right on either tank. And at odd times, when I come to a stop, gas comes pouring out of my gascap. Pours out of either tank and when I switch tanks, it stops.

Sidenote: I let my front tank run out because the noise is annoying, and only filled the rear tank. It seems as if the gas is migrating to the front tank. But who knows, my guages are not working.

HELP!!
Old 03-17-2009, 10:35 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to the board.

There are some previous posts on this related topic. The gas will migrate from the rear to the front, can't remember the reason(s) given at the moment. Something to do with the switch that controls which tank the gas is fed from, etc. As for gas coming out of the gas cap, there may be something wrong with the flap at the filler neck that is supposed to prevent this from happening.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those are probably the original fuel pumps in your tanks. There were many recalls on those, because the check valve on the return line fails. The only real fix is to replace the fuel pump in each tank, because the check valve is in the pump assembly - and since your guage isn't accurate, replace the senders while you're at it. I had the same deal, and replaced the entire rear tank (pump, sender, tank, wiring harness, filler cap, the whole deal) and eventually removed the front tank completely instead of rebuilding it too. If you don't rebuild both tanks (or remove one), the issue will probably continue.

Quick Reply: Help! Gas leaks out of gas cap