Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

---Help----- Frame CRACKED at Power Steer Box!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 03:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ---Help----- Frame CRACKED at Power Steer Box!!!!

96' 4x4. Does anyone have any similar cracks/scenarios's/nightmares at this location?

Its not the frame itself, the gusset that binds the frame and k-member together, which the PS Gear box attaches to, inside section of frame near the radiator.

I guess Im gonna get someone to weld it up, make another gusset or something, have to take the PS Gear back off the damn truck again.

Im gonna speculate this is why my truck wonders the road a lot. Its cracked right behind the single bolt hole(out of 3) for the PS gear. Shouldn't effect the holes at all.

Last edited by adabiri2; 05-24-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

------------UPDATE----------------

Got the frame welded, it was a slight crack right behind the PS Gear Box. It would have gotten worse from what I can tell.

2hrs labor at $70=$140. Not bad. I took the gear box off and put it back on fyi.

No, it did not fix the wondering/sawing and the steering wheel.

The new gear box did help a little bit but it's still not a straight driver. I have some Rancho's Im gonna put on soon to help with the bumps etc.

I'll eventually get the ball joints, hubs, bushings done. But for now I'm just gonna put up with it.

I still need to get my free alignment done, I would say that will help some too.

Quick Reply: ---Help----- Frame CRACKED at Power Steer Box!!!!