Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Help with customizing a 95 F150

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with customizing a 95 F150

Hey everybody,

I am working on my 1995 F150 XLT Lariat 5.8 V8 and I have some upgrade questions. I know this is an older truck so im not expecting it to run as well as a new vehicle but I'm wanting to get as close as I can to it running excellent. It doesn't react as well as I want to. I've read that adding an air filter and a new exhaust system will help. Are there other things I can do to it? Do I need to upgrade another part while adding the air filter/exhaust system to even things out?

Thanks for looking at my post!

Last edited by sarahlouise6; 01-23-2017 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:16 PM

Received 324 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by sarahlouise6
Hey everybody,

I am working on my 1995 F150 XLT Lariat 5.8 V8 and I have some upgrade questions. I know this is an older truck so im not expecting it to run as well as a new vehicle but I'm wanting to get as close as I can to it running excellent. It doesn't react as well as I want to. I've read that adding an air filter and a new exhaust system will help. Are there other things I can do to it? Do I need to upgrade another part while adding the air filter/exhaust system to even things out?

Thanks for looking at my post!
Welcome to the forum, you'll find lots of great info here!

For the air filter, I went with a K & N and completely removed the stock air intake. Although my truck has the straight six engine, the new filter should work for the 5.8 too. Here's a pic of my setup:

Another benefit of the filter is better mpg's. I gained about 1.5 extra!

Good luck!
Old 01-23-2017, 08:41 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Probably the single biggest thing you can do to an older motor (after the basic tuneup and fluid/ filter change) is install a new timing chain. When it was new, the chain was tight so the valves were perfectly co-ordinated with the crankshaft.
As they get older, the chain wears and 'stretches' so the valves start opening and closing a little bit off from when they're supposed to. A new timing chain brings back the "crispness" it had when it was new. (Not all of it obviously, but it makes a huge difference).
The K&N system looks special and maybe adds something, but I found them to be a bloody nuisance compared to buying a new filter for $10 and throwing the old one away.
No offence, Clint ! Things look pretty good under your hood. Nice and clean.
The following users liked this post:
clintm6 (01-24-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 08:48 PM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

That's a hard question to answer, one needs to know the vehicles current state, how it's running, it's maintenance records if anything. I'm not sure what you mean by doesn't react as well as you want ? I have a 93 F150 XLT 5.8, so they are quite similar, i've done a bunch over the course of the last year since i got it, i've been basically happy with the truck other than what wasn't working at peak efficiency or needing fixes, cosmetically i fixed a few things too.

As far as are there other things you can do ? You can do anything you like really, money permitting, depending on what it is you want to change about it's current behavior, whether that means upgrading something or just fixing something though is different.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:12 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

No matter how old these trucks are there is no reason for them not to run as good as any new vehicle. The engines in these trucks no matter 6cyl or 8cyl and tried and true and in my opinion more reliable than anything else there. I just pulled a perfectly running 302 with over 250K on it because I had a higher HP motor built for my truck.

With that being said you have to start with the basics. Before spending any money on upgrades I would do all the basics 1st to get it running right. Cap, rotor, plugs, wires, check timing, look for any vacuum leaks, etc... I would pull off the throttle body and give it a good cleaning as well. Is the CEL on? If so have you check the codes?