Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Help with catalytic converters

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 08:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help with catalytic converters

I recently purchased a few pieces to redo the exhaust on my 95 F150 5.0L, and was wondering how many cats do I need to legally pass an emissions test? Im not interested in cutouts, or taking off cats and rewelding them and all that BS. I have a pair of SLP Loudmouth II mufflers, and am looking at a pair of Summitracing high-flow cats to round it out with my summitracing headers. I want something that boosts the sound as much as possible, as well as the power. Im setting up a true dual, with the exhaust exiting behind my doors (single cab flareside) like mine is currently. I like it there, and like the sound.

Anyways! I was thinking one new cat per exhaust side, but do I need more then one? Should I put two cats on each side of the exhaust? I have to pass emissions so I need to figure out how many cats it takes to clean the exhaust of a 302. I'm also going to be adding an H pipe and was debating where to add that too.

Currently my exhaust goes: manifolds, tubes, Y pipe, cat, cat, Y pipe back out to two, muffler on each side and exit.

I'm debating: headers, pipes, h-pipe, cat, pipe, muffler, exit pipe (on each side) (and I've deleted my front tank so clearance isnt an issue)
Old 02-08-2010, 08:59 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I think you'd be fine with one on each side. In PA my '92 is allowed to pollute 1.2% at idle and at 2500rpm (that's the two tests for tailpipe). With two cats on mine I polluted 0% at idle and only .23% at 2500rpm...Mine is a 4.9L though. Does your engine show signs of wear? What were your emissions results last year?

On a side note...'95...don't you have OBDII? If you do, you can just buy MIL eliminators and trick the computer, because if you have OBDII they don't do the tailpipe test, they just do an emissions code read.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by burnthelight88
I think you'd be fine with one on each side. In PA my '92 is allowed to pollute 1.2% at idle and at 2500rpm (that's the two tests for tailpipe). With two cats on mine I polluted 0% at idle and only .23% at 2500rpm...Mine is a 4.9L though. Does your engine show signs of wear? What were your emissions results last year?

On a side note...'95...don't you have OBDII? If you do, you can just buy MIL eliminators and trick the computer, because if you have OBDII they don't do the tailpipe test, they just do an emissions code read.

95 with OBD1 only, they do an exhaust test on the rolling road. My engine has 245,000 miles but still runs very strong.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:20 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

What state are you in? How do they test emissions while they are moving? That's wild! If you could find your results from last year that would give you a pretty good idea what you can do...if your state even gives results printouts. Its really hard to answer emissions questions across different states.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:44 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

In California (the toughest state), you are allowed to use a single hi-capacity Cat in replacement for dual Cats. Just make sure they increase diameter at the Y. If it flies in my state, it'll fly anywhere!
Old 02-08-2010, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by burnthelight88
What state are you in? How do they test emissions while they are moving? That's wild! If you could find your results from last year that would give you a pretty good idea what you can do...if your state even gives results printouts. Its really hard to answer emissions questions across different states.
Think Dyno. In Ca., they test at idle, 15mph & 25mph. They used to use Monkeys to push the machine behind the vehicles, but they finally ran out of monkeys. It was fun while it lasted!

Last edited by ymeski56; 02-08-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:51 PM

I live in Texas, if that makes any difference.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by kaidotech
I live in Texas, if that makes any difference.
That's a cake walk compared to Ca. It' a Fed law variance that allows the 2 for 1 hi-capacity anyway, so state shouldn't make a difference. This is specific to F-150's. Don't know about other vehicles.

Last edited by ymeski56; 02-08-2010 at 11:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Help with catalytic converters