Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

headlights not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default headlights not working

hey all,
My headlights randomly stopped working the other day. Both of them are out, all the other lights still worked. Fuse is still good (is there another one in the wire??), took the switch apart per the shop manual and tested everything...still didn't work so I don't think it's the switch. Bulbs are fine, can't see any obvious wire disconnects. Any ideas? The manual says to check the ground and check the H circuit per the wiring diagram. I'm not sure where the ground for the headlights is, and I'm also not sure how to go about diagnosing a wiring circuit. I've done just about everything else to my truck, just haven't gotten into the wiring. any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:20 PM

Hope this helps:
I would start by seeing if you have 12V on the black/orange wire after fuse link L, and of course fuse 4. If good, check the output of the main light switch, check for 12V out the brown wire and the
Red/yellow wire. If still good, check the dimmer switch. Should have 12V out the Red/black wire with dims, and 12V out the Light Green/black wire with brights. Check by back-probing at the headlight bulb connectors. If still good, check continuity to ground of each of the ground wires off the headlight connectors. If good, finally, check for corrosion inside the headlight bulb connectors. Clean the contacts and then securely reconnect them. If everything has checked out good at this point, the only thing it could be is bad bulbs. Good luck.
Joe

Last edited by joefriday; 04-26-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:05 PM

wow thanks. I'll try to get to this soon. Thanks for the detailed reply.

Quick Reply: headlights not working