Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Head Gasket? Questions on fix...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Head Gasket? Questions on fix...

So, I'm pretty sure my head gasket gave the ghost.

I had noticed that I've been losing coolant without puddles of it anywhere. I kept a constant eye on the oil, but never noticed and discoloration or foamy bubbles or anything.

Saturday morning I checked my oil and coolant, both were good, I drove about 6 miles with a load for the dump and noticed I was overheating, as I pulled over oil smoke started billowing out from under the hood and in through the vent.

When I popped the hood it appeared to be mostly coming from the driver's side of the block.

Sometime during this week (or maybe the weekend if I don't have time) I'm gonna be doing this test: http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/for...d_gasket_2.php

My question, how hard is it to change the head gasket? I only ask because the truck only has 118k miles on it. I'd hate to get a new engine when this one has so few miles on it for being a 96.

However the question lies in (as I just got the truck myself), how hard were those miles that were put on it.

Any handy guides for gasket replacement? Is it something I can do if I have the time/patience/funds to do in my garage even though I'm hardly considered even a weekend mechanic? I do have a garage and can take it slow as I can bus to/from work while the vehicle is down. Would hate to just give up on the truck or motor if it's something that could be done on my own.

Suggestions? Hints? Guides? Help? lol
Old 04-11-2012, 12:23 PM

Dang.. nobody? Google! Don't fail me now!
Old 04-11-2012, 12:33 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

Head gaskets are not difficult. Just make sure you bag and tag everything you pull apart. Honestly, it's a one day job. A weekend is definitely more than enough time. I recommend replacing valve stem seals while the heads are off.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:28 PM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I would have it pressure tested and shaved maybe a Valve job since your Goin to have it off anyways.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by That One Fat Guy
Dang.. nobody? Google! Don't fail me now!
'96 eh. Do you know if the heads are aluminum or not? I know these aluminum head warp easily. One of the tells is if there seems to be a lot of what I would call blow by oil floating around in the radiator.

I'd do them both if I was doing it, after getting the heads checked out and ok'd.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:33 PM

The heads aren't aluminum. They are cast iron. Aluminum heads are aftermarket.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:14 PM

Received 112 Likes on 109 Posts

Head gasket is engines 101. Do yourself a favor and pick up q Hayes manual and a cheap digital camera. Hayes will walk you through it and the photos will help you remember how it goes together. You may want someone with an experienced eye to check for cracks or warping. Any machine shop should be able to give an opinion or do an inspection/ cleaning for not much cash. You should use new head bolts too.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by qdeezie
The heads aren't aluminum. They are cast iron. Aluminum heads are aftermarket.
Well, that is an advantage. I owned a '93 Chevy that had aluminum heads on a v-6. Toilet paper engine! Use it once and flush it! LOLOL! Always dragging up the rear!
Old 04-11-2012, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by autocar

Well, that is an advantage. I owned a '93 Chevy that had aluminum heads on a v-6. Toilet paper engine! Use it once and flush it! LOLOL! Always dragging up the rear!
I actually like aluminum heads when properly maintained.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:54 PM

Thanks for the responses, I'll be attempting it this week, got swamped from work and illness last week and commuting on the bus... ugh.

Quick Reply: Head Gasket? Questions on fix...