Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Hard to start and no power to leave the driveway

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to start and no power to leave the driveway

Hey Guys,
I have gotten great advice and tutoring from you all, so hopefully you can help me with this very frustrating problem.

I have a 5.8L that has been running great. It has 125k on it and is a '94.

I haven't driven it in a few days but when I tried to start it today it would not catch. After a 10 tries it finally cranked. However it did not have enough power to make it up the driveway (which is pretty close to flat).

I let it run for a few minutes then shut it off. 5 more tries to get it started. Let it run until it warmed up and quieted down. At this point I looked it over while running smooth, but saw no issues. Then it revved up and the check engine light came on. I shut it down.

The only things that have happened since the last time I drove it is I washed the outside and we had a torrential downpour last night.

Any ideas? I checked the dist cap and all is dry. I am stuck till I get this remedied. Thanks in advance!

Thanks
Old 07-24-2015, 02:28 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

I presume you meant it wouldn't fire up? Crank usually means the motor turning.
Sounds like you may have a wet connection.
If it won't crank over, check the connections - battery, ground (to the block) fender mounted solenoid, battery mounted solenoid.
If it cranks over but won't fire, check for wet connections around the TPS and IAC, also at the coil, distributor, and the ICM (on the driver's fender near the hood hinge).
If none of that shows anything, it could be unrelated to the water.
Could be a weak fuel pump, or the pickup in the distributor may be on it's way out. Get your hands on a fuel pressure gauge and see where you're at. And check for spark when it won't fire up.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:55 AM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

Hopefully you weren't trying to start it for extended periods of time, prolonged cranking can burn up a starter in no time during the warmer months. A rule of thumb has always been to let it rest 2 minutes after 2 tries, each try shouldn't be more than 4-5 seconds.

Like Chris said, check body grounds, connectors of anything ignition related. Pulling your codes couldn't hurt but you may not get anything. Would it be possible that you have water in your gas?
Old 07-25-2015, 12:18 PM

Thanks guys.
I do not try to fire it for more than 3 seconds at a time. I definitely did not wait 2 mins after 2 tries, but I will in the future. Nothing appears to be wet. It may be time for new electricals anyhow.

My real concern is, why it has no power. I can't even get out of the driveway when it does run. I fired it again today. When it runs for a few minutes it smells like it is not burning the gas. The gas smell is overpowering. Any ideas?

Should I start replacing coil, wires, plugs?
Old 07-25-2015, 12:34 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Couldn't hurt to do a tune up I'd also change ur 02 sensors could be why it's runing rich
Old 07-26-2015, 12:12 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Since the engine light came a code should be stored id check that before buying new parts
Old 07-26-2015, 03:13 AM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

Before buying anything, pull your codes, check your fuel pressure, test the vacuum lines to make sure they are holding vacuum, clean up grounds/connectors/terminals, check plugs for proper gap, etc...

There are a hundred things that you can do to ensure a part is working as well as possible and even eliminating entire sections as possible culprits to you issue, none of this will cost you anything but a little time.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:43 AM

Going to pull the codes today and check visible connections/ grounds. Cleaned the air filter (K&N) and checked the plug wire connections. They could stand to be replaced as could the cap, rotor ect.

I will let you know, thanks for the help! You guys rock, thanks for the tips.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:16 PM

I am getting very frustrated with this truck.

It started right up this morning and ran great for the 5mins it took to warm up. I then shut it down and read the KOEO test. Got all 1's except for 512 ("512 c EEC processor Keep Alive Memory (KAM) test failed"). Not sure what that means.

Went to start it again to try KOER test but won't even turn the starter. No noise or clicks, just the dash that lights up.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:35 PM

Woohoo! got it started 3x in a row. I just had to shift it out of park and back in so it would realize it was in park. Go figure.

I will try to pull more codes.

EDIT- KOER
Got 116, 412,
I am sure these are user error. But seemed to run really well this time.

After leaving it alone for the last 2 days, it seems to be running well. Maybe whatever was wet just needed to dry out.

I am still going to change plugs, wires, cap and rotor. And possibly coil.

Last edited by wkbogie; 07-27-2015 at 03:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Hard to start and no power to leave the driveway