Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Hard Shifting and Slipping Trans

Old 09-06-2011, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hard Shifting and Slipping Trans

Ok fellas, I got a good one for ya (I think).

My 95 EB F150 5.8 auto (4X4) has developed an attitude.

My speedo started jumping a little while ago and I have just not addressed it yet, but now my trans is shifting very hard at times as well as shifting late and 3rd gear will slip whenever it wants to as well as downshift early when coming to a stop. I have noticed over the past couple days that it seems to do this when the speedo completely stops working.

For example yesterday, I put over 150 miles on the truck and the trans shifted smoothly and on time and never slipped once. During this time the speedo was jumping and trying to work.

I'm not a trans guy by no means and I thought once a trans went, it was done. Why would my truck run so bad one day and great the next? It seems that when the speedo is doing something the trans is OK, but when it's doing nothing the trans does what it wants.

Could the speed sensor or something else be causing the trans to have (what seems like) this intermittent issue?

Also, I did change the trans fluid and filter about 7000 miles ago. Everything was clean and there was nothing in the bottom of the pan at that time.

Thanks in advance for any help fellas.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:42 AM
Just call me sean. Really

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

Do you have an E4OD? The shifting in those is computer controlled, and on a 95 the speedo is electronic too. So maybe it just doesn't know what to do when the speedo isn't working right?
Old 09-06-2011, 09:42 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Yea, fix the speedometer.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:01 AM

Yes, it's an E4OD.

Sorry, I should have stated that in my original post.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:13 AM

Ok fellas, I called Ford and they threw a couple parts at me. The dealer said it may be the throttle position sensor (makes no sense to me at all) or the output shaft speed sensor.

Anyhow, I remembered that I had the cell number of guy that had my truck at the dealer for three days last fall, so I called him.

He believes that it's the cluster. He stated that he has seen clusters do a lot of crazy things in the past and after he explained it a little more, it kinda makes sense. He's going to call me back this afternoon and let me know what he can do to fix it. He needs to see if he can even get a new one or find out a cost to rebuild mine.

Anybody ever heard of the cluster causing these type of issues???
Old 09-06-2011, 11:54 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

I have heard that, but more common and cheap to try is the VSS and the wires going to it are known to deteriorate.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hard Shifting and Slipping Trans