Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Hard cranking

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard cranking

My 89 is having trouble turning over. It starts after a few cranks but it feels almost like the battery is low. Brand new battery though. Its worse after I drive for a while. Sometimes it cranks once then clicks like a dead battery when it has been run? Alternator? Voltage regulator? Ground?
Old 12-08-2009, 10:51 AM
rdg

Default RE: click

Could be the ground. I had a problem with my ground cable. The way the exhaust is routed on a 96 with straight six engine it goes right by where the battery is grounded. I bought a ground cable from Napa and haven't had cranking problems since. There were times when I would hear the click noise but it would not turn over. Banging on the starter helped. I even replaced the starter. I had to push start it once. It ultimately turned out to be the ground connection.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:45 PM

I'll check the ground then. Hopefully that will solve it. I just had a water pump turn in to a fan clutch, water outlet, thermostat, water pump job. She's a bit sensitive when I start wrenching on her. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Hard cranking