gt40 heads... - Page 6 - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans



gt40 heads...

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #51
Uzi does it!
Thread Starter
 
Klinux13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,100
Thanked 25 Times in 25 Posts
Default

So should I spend the $500 for the gt40's, or spend triple the amount for aftermarket aluminum ones?
Klinux13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:46 PM   #52
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 2,339
Thanked 112 Times in 98 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinux13 View Post
So my goal is around 300 pony's, so do you guys think that this will get my there:

- heads: gt40 or other
- custom cam
- long tube headers
- ported stock intake
- tune

What else?
Everything here sounds good.

Regarding the heads, you more than likely won't get 300hp with GT40 heads, so you'll have to go with aftermarket heads.
qdeezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:44 PM   #53
Uzi does it!
Thread Starter
 
Klinux13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,100
Thanked 25 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdeezie View Post

Everything here sounds good.

Regarding the heads, you more than likely won't get 300hp with GT40 heads, so you'll have to go with aftermarket heads.
Great! What heads would you recommend that won't completely break the bank?
Klinux13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:18 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
Warlockk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 2,669
Thanked 110 Times in 107 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatonekid View Post
If you want to lose torque take the gt40 intake it'll give you power back on top end, you want pulling power keep the truck intake.
Longer runners = more torque
shorter = more horsepower
The only way to really improve the truck manifold is port matching the upper and lower sections.
He nailed it there. Long tube runners increase intake velocity which is what is required to make torque. Modern engines use variable runners. The start with the long ones for strong low rpm torque then at high rpm and wide open throttle the valves switch to short tubes to get the high demand air in quickly. So if you plan on going wide open at stop lights and don't mind waiting a block to develops power and you want to haul *** at high speed on a circle track or on the freeway the mustang intake ( designed for a car a good 1000 lbs lighter) is the way to go. If you want a lively acceleration at stop lights, to be able to burn some tires, to haul a load, to climb out of a ditch or to get the hell out of your own way the factory intake is the best bang for the buck. If you want more have it ported. Or if you have the bucks order an aftermarket made for trucks. For a simple reference formula cars use super short wide intakes and small short stroke cylinders. They run high speeds at 1000 rpm and make a ton of horsepower. They also push them out of the pits and they stall if you let the rpm fall.
Warlockk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:41 PM   #55
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 2,339
Thanked 112 Times in 98 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinux13 View Post

Great! What heads would you recommend that won't completely break the bank?
Honestly, when going with aftermarket heads, its going to be around a $1500-$1600 investment unless you find a great deal on used heads in good condition.

Trick Flow heads have the best price. Roughly $1200 a set, but you still have to budget for pushrods and rocker arms, which put you right back up to the $1500-$1600 range.

As far as what I recommend? Either Trick Flow or AFR 165. If you want to be different, Brodix ST 5.0 is another option.
qdeezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:56 PM   #56
Uzi does it!
Thread Starter
 
Klinux13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,100
Thanked 25 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlockk View Post

He nailed it there. Long tube runners increase intake velocity which is what is required to make torque. Modern engines use variable runners. The start with the long ones for strong low rpm torque then at high rpm and wide open throttle the valves switch to short tubes to get the high demand air in quickly. So if you plan on going wide open at stop lights and don't mind waiting a block to develops power and you want to haul *** at high speed on a circle track or on the freeway the mustang intake ( designed for a car a good 1000 lbs lighter) is the way to go. If you want a lively acceleration at stop lights, to be able to burn some tires, to haul a load, to climb out of a ditch or to get the hell out of your own way the factory intake is the best bang for the buck. If you want more have it ported. Or if you have the bucks order an aftermarket made for trucks. For a simple reference formula cars use super short wide intakes and small short stroke cylinders. They run high speeds at 1000 rpm and make a ton of horsepower. They also push them out of the pits and they stall if you let the rpm fall.
Definitely the burn tires, haul loads, smoke rice burners, etc...
Klinux13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:58 PM   #57
Uzi does it!
Thread Starter
 
Klinux13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,100
Thanked 25 Times in 25 Posts
Default

For right now I'm just going to do Lt headers, than in a few months I'll pull the engine and rebuild it. Any comments on what kind of headers? [MENTION=98715]LOCO LAPTOP[/MENTION], you have Pacesetter's right? How do you like them?
Klinux13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:10 AM   #58
Oooo a Custom Title.
 
LOCO LAPTOP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Posts: 947
Thanked 39 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinux13 View Post
For right now I'm just going to do Lt headers, than in a few months I'll pull the engine and rebuild it. Any comments on what kind of headers? [MENTION=98715]LOCO LAPTOP[/MENTION], you have Pacesetter's right? How do you like them?
So far so good on them, Good fitment, doesn't touch the frame or body (close however). Only issue is you cannot use the O2 sensor holes that comes pre-made with them because the senors won't fit due to how close it is to the transmission due to the angles of the O2 holes.

These are the exact ones that I have.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ps...96/model/f-150
LOCO LAPTOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:03 AM   #59
Senior Member
 
Warlockk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 2,669
Thanked 110 Times in 107 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOCO LAPTOP View Post

So far so good on them, Good fitment, doesn't touch the frame or body (close however). Only issue is you cannot use the O2 sensor holes that comes pre-made with them because the senors won't fit due to how close it is to the transmission due to the angles of the O2 holes.

These are the exact ones that I have.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ps...96/model/f-150
Wow I had a ton of trouble with the bolts and leaks. Clearance was no problem but getting tools on the bolts was a pain. What kind of fasteners did you use?
Warlockk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:07 AM   #60
Oooo a Custom Title.
 
LOCO LAPTOP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Posts: 947
Thanked 39 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlockk View Post
Wow I had a ton of trouble with the bolts and leaks. Clearance was no problem but getting tools on the bolts was a pain. What kind of fasteners did you use?
I didn't use their gasket that was provided so that might be why it doesn't leak. But I used their bolts with some ARP Ultra Torque.
LOCO LAPTOP is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GT40 questions 1990-5.0-4x4 1987 - 1996 F150 33 06-14-2012 01:06 AM
GT40 Heads For Sale qdeezie Pre-1997 Part Sales 2 05-20-2012 10:34 PM
302 GT40 intake swap - EGR help ss150 1987 - 1996 F150 6 10-27-2010 10:48 PM
mustang 5.0 ho upper intake and gt40 heads shawnsf150 1987 - 1996 F150 6 03-21-2010 09:47 PM
GT-40 heads, Explorer/Cobra intake and more ma94xlt General F150 Items 8 09-17-2008 09:32 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:32 PM.


Copyright 2006 - 2016 F150Forum.com