Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Grinding sound when i steer hard right or left

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding sound when i steer hard right or left

i have a grinding sound when i hard steer right or left,its not the tires hitting,Im confused!
Old 03-26-2009, 01:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give some more info two or four by and tire size.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:59 AM

its 4x4,its not a tire issue ive verified that already,have 31" rubbers,im hoping its not a hub permanently stuck in 4x4,any clues?
Old 03-26-2009, 06:47 PM
King92

How about axle u-joints, how old are they? they can rust and not flex properly.
Any other info you can share??
Old 03-26-2009, 07:25 PM

I also have 31 on my truck the passengers front does rub with the aftermarket rim that the tire is on. Once my camera is charged I will take a photo and post them.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:50 PM

Ok will check those u-joints,maybe the tires rubbing,but i had a friend check when i turn them,maybe he just didnt see it. If it is tires,what is a good remedy to stop the rubbing? A lift kit? Thanks for the info guys
Old 03-27-2009, 07:06 PM

If it is rubbing you will have a shiny piece on the radius arm or whatever it is called. The best way to remedy this is to use wheels with a different offset or buy some spacers for the front.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:51 AM

putting on larger rims &/or tires often causes older bearings, ujoints, etc to wear down faster. You'll have to detail more of your 'symptoms' to get a better thread of responses from us... if it sounds like tire/road noise => bearings. Cracking/popping sound when turning the wheel => ujoints. Popping when braking to turn => loose caliper. etc. etc. etc.

If it's the tire size rubbing, bend/cut away the portion that's rubbing, try spacers, or just buy tires/rims that fit.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by hillbillie
putting on larger rims &/or tires often causes older bearings, ujoints, etc to wear down faster. You'll have to detail more of your 'symptoms' to get a better thread of responses from us... if it sounds like tire/road noise => bearings. Cracking/popping sound when turning the wheel => ujoints. Popping when braking to turn => loose caliper. etc. etc. etc.

If it's the tire size rubbing, bend/cut away the portion that's rubbing, try spacers, or just buy tires/rims that fit.
Yes they can but the 31 inch tires were a factory option on some trucks and Broncos so they should not cause undue stress on the bearings, because of no lift the u-joints are in the factory alignment and should not wear faster than normal.
On the other hand the wheel bearing or front cv joints might be worn out causing noise, but usually these will cause noise in any steering position not just at full turn.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:59 PM

I think its tire rub,im only getting it when hard steer right or left,its not real bad but just a little.its definitley not bearings. I heard it could be one of the 4x4 hubs locked into position,but if that was so i would only hear on one side not both,,right?....Im going to go with tire rub,Thanks peoples.

Quick Reply: Grinding sound when i steer hard right or left