Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Got me a '96! Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Driver of wrecks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got me a '96! Questions.

Growing up, my folks had a '89 F150 and a '88 Club Wagon. I literally cried when they traded those things in. Since then I've wanted a Ford truck again. I am finally able to justify buying a truck, so I did. It's the short bed single cab XL with the I-6 and a 5-speed. The body is quite rough, as it rear-ended someone, and the hood popped up while driving a while back. Part of the door panel is missing, and the driver's door rattles incessantly.

Guess what? I still love the beast.

I've got to go through and fix a couple things that need work. It's had recent things like tires, ignition module, MAF sensor, coil pack, wires, plugs, etc. The guy I bought it from was apparently trying to fix a problem by shotgunning it.

Wednesday i'll have a chance to go through the truck from bumper to bumper and start trying to figure this stuff out, but I figured i'd ask a community of people who may have already dealt with this stuff and could give me a few hints or point me in the right direction.

First off, the truck runs great, except when accelerating, sometimes she stumbles like she's missing, then starts running strong again. Mainly happens at lower RPM, maybe 15-20 mph in second. If you stay in it, like I say she'll pull out and run okay. Only happens about 50% of the time while accelerating. I'm thinking possibly a sensor or fuel delivery issue. The CEL is on, and i'll be pulling that code on wednesday so i'll have more details then. Just wanted to see if that sounds familiar at all.

Second major thing is a suspension noise. Happens going over bumps, and it's a loud clang, sounds a lot like a bushing isn't worn, it's straight up missing. Also when braking at low speeds it will sometimes clunk from the same place. Probably related is that when braking it will sometimes drift to the left, once again would be a sign of a worn bushing. I looked at the radius arm bushing while it was parked and it seemed okay, so i'm a bit confused. Something else i'll have to check out in more detail wednesday, but again I'm just seeing if this sounds familiar.

Also when braking i'm getting a vibration that seems to be coming from the rear. It's a bit odd because i thought it had drum brakes back there, and those take a lot of deforming to really notice. I suppose the fronts could be warped, but I don't really feel the pulsation in the steering wheel so much.

Also the rear tank apparently doesn't work. No big deal, probably the fuel pump, i'll get to that later.

And the fuel gauge isn't that accurate. Dunno if it's the sending unit or gauge cluster or what. Again not critical, I can fix that later.

She needs some attention to say the least, but I didn't give much for her, and right now she runs and drives great so i'm happy.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:52 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Welcome, Congrats & you may want to break your inquiries into smaller, related grouping theads. It's an attention span thing!
Old 03-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Driver of wrecks

Haha! Okay. I'll probably wait to do that until after i've had a closer look at it Wednesday. Don't want to be wasting everyone's time and it turn out to be something stupid like a cracked vacuum line (there's a lot of rotted rubber under the hood)
Old 03-08-2010, 12:36 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritzo
Haha! Okay. I'll probably wait to do that until after i've had a closer look at it Wednesday. Don't want to be wasting everyone's time and it turn out to be something stupid like a cracked vacuum line (there's a lot of rotted rubber under the hood)
Error Code Scans,......are your friend! https://www.f150forum.com/f10/how-re...es-obdi-10907/ OR http://www.handsontools.com/Equus-In...ol_p_5574.html

Last edited by ymeski56; 03-08-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:15 AM

By the OP:

Second major thing is a suspension noise. Happens going over bumps, and it's a loud clang, sounds a lot like a bushing isn't worn, it's straight up missing.

=========

Got the same sound as well. Let me know what you find out.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

check the radius arm bushings...those make that noise...from there is is ball joints...

as for the stumble on Acceleration...worn TPS or dirty MAF...
Old 03-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Driver of wrecks

Well i've been spending a bit more time behind the wheel, and noticed some things that might help on the stumble. And yeah, I know codes are a good idea, i'll be pulling those tomorrow.

The hesitation always happens at a certain RPM, more noticeable if you apply more gas. It's like a sputtering, misfire type feeling, but still accelerates slowly. Once it gets past that it has normal power again. I'll check the MAF tomorrow and make sure it doesn't have goop all stuck in it. What's the best way to check the TPS?

And the suspension noise i'm pretty sure is a ball joint. It just has that 'ring' to it.

Also the fuel gauge doesn't seem to work that well and the temperature gauge reads low even when it's warmed up. Is there a ground or hot wire that develops resistance commonly that makes this happen? Or could it be a bad sensor? I'm thinking if the ECT sensor is reading false, it could be stuck out of closed loop and be running rich all the time, although there's no black smoke coming out the tailpipe and fuel consumption so far seems normal.

There I go rambling on again... I should have more tomorrow evening.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:47 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

My temp only gets to the "O" in "normal" so if you're anywhere around there, its probably fine. if you want it to warm up more, swap out the therm. The guy before you may have swapped it with one of the lower temp ones.

Quick Reply: Got me a '96! Questions.