Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Gas gauge went out

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas gauge went out

i walked outside yesterday and started "rebel thunder" up and i had half a tank but when i shut her off the gas gauge stayed at half a tank and it hasnt worked since was wondering if yall knew what this might be and how to fix it thnaks
Old 01-12-2011, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can live w it, i carried around a few xtra gallons of gas in my 91 for a couple of years until the fuel pump whent out and then i replaced the sending unit along w the fuel pump, its a pain!!!! I would first check the wires that run from the top of the tank to the guage in the dash, if all is good there then it is time to change the sending unit it is along side the fuel pump in the top of the tank. First drain or empty fuel from tank and drop it to the ground. Usually you can get away with removing 2 of the 4 bolts that hold the tank straps and remove sending unit wires and fuel lines. NO SMOKING!!!!!!!!! There is a locking ring on the top that holds the unit in place. Remove this ring and it all comes out as one piece. I would suggest replacing your fuel pump NOW as opposed to needing to drop the tank again, they r pricey but you will not regret it, it will fail at some point,DO IT NOW. also it can't hurt to steam or preassure wash your tank while it is off. After years of condensation and trash in our gasoline it will have crud in it. Just let it dry in the sun for the day b4 u seal it back up.

Quick Reply: Gas gauge went out