Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Fueling problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 06:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fueling problems

I did the search, found some info. Just wanna run it by everyone first.

1993 f150 extended cab 2wd with the 351w.

Problems fueling are this, front tank fills slow. Will not take more than a couple dollars at a time before clicking off. There is a sweet spot while pumping that it won't click off but you'll be standing there 15+ minutes. Rear tank, won't shut off, fuel will be shooting out all over the truck on the ground and all. Same pump doing both tanks, tried many many different fuel stations. When I did the search found that the filler neck seems to be the main concern and probably need to replace this. I've tried everything short of putting the filler neck and tank vent in. The rear tank though don't know where to start with that.

There are some other issues that I need to correct. (Running rough occasionally, miss firing under heavy load "wide open throttle", transmission codes over drive mainly, cuts off occasionally) I have a trans ordered for it, built e4od. Gauges and coolers going in at the same time. I'm trying to fix all the other issues first. Mainly fueling problem, I was told that the codes that I got with the trans can make the engine act funny. So I'm gonna stick the trans in and then see what other problems it fixes, if any. If it doesn't im fine with that, im okay with diagnosing the rest of it.

Any ideas or tips for the filling problems?

Last edited by Restof150s; 08-08-2015 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:07 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

There's an inner hose that fuel goes in and an outer hose that the air vents back out of while you're filling. The problems will probably be related to that (kinks, blockage, missing inner hose on the rear maybe).
Transmission problems can sometimes be related back to one of the sensors, or the EEC itself. The TPS is famous for causing shift problems.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've tried, new TPS, adjusting the TPS.

As far as the filler in the rear, I just put a pump back there so I know the hose is good.

Quick Reply: Fueling problems