Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Fuel tank problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel tank problem

I have a new problem with my front fuel tank. The truck is a 1987 F150 4 X 4 with dual tanks. Recently when full, the front fuel tank will run approximately only about 5 miles and then just quit. No sputtering it just quits until I reach over and flip the switch over to the rear tank and it picks right up and keeps running along again. When I fill up I can put a little gas into the front tank basically just topping off, so I know the tank is full. It starts and runs great on the front tank until just a few miles and then gives out.
This tells me the fuel filter is not bad because the rear tank runs fine. I would guess the fuel pump is ok too because it does run for a while. Is there a tube in the gas tank that could have fallen off from the fuel pump? I'm thinking if so the gas would flow from the pump until it gets to low and beyond the nipple where the tube should be and extend to the bottom of the tank. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:00 PM
king of the I know nothin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the in tank pump has shot craps. I would say it would probably be easier to remove the bed instead of droppin the tank. also while you have the bed off you can do some cleanup on the frame. That is what I did except mine doesnt have a pump it is a 83.... Oh on the fuel injected f150's they have a in tank pump low pressure, then they have a pump on the firewall that is a high pressure pump to pressurize the fuel for the system.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the fuel pump.

Does it do this every time you start it?

You should pull codes to check for sure. If you end up putting a fuel pump in, you might as well put the sending unit in too. That way you won't end up with the guage not working a week later and have to drop the tank again!
Old 10-24-2008, 07:17 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I like your thinking, common filter for both tanks, good. Pick up for the pump come off, naa, pump is submerged. Pump shutting off after a few miles (members posts) yeah. Hopefully, Sean will offer up suggestions, he is driving this vintage and will give you the real deal. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:47 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

I'm in agreement except for one item, the high pressure fuel pump is mounted to the framerail, not the firewall. And '87-'89 has the separate low and high pumps, the later models just have the in tank high pressure pump. The in tank low pressure pump is on it's way out. It has enough life left in it to work for a short time and then quits.

There is one other possibility that may be an issue. I've seen the hose that connects the fuel pump to the pickup tube rot away which wouldn't let the fuel into the line. This was on GM vehicles though, and was corrected in later years with a special connector instead of a hose. I don't know if Ford has this hose, I have yet to change the pump on mine.

Quick Reply: Fuel tank problem