Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Fuel selector switch bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel selector switch bad?

hi, i have a 90 f150 w/duel tanks the problem is that my fuel pumps are not working when i turn the key ON, also the gas gauge is no longer accurate i put a test light on the fuel pump selector switch and it gave me a very DIM light, i then put the light on my power door lock switch (just to make sure the test light was working) and it lit up very bright. i then unplugged the fuel selector switch and put the light on the connector itself and nothing no light. i grounded the #6 on the EEC connector and the fuel pump relay is working. would a bad fuel selector switch cause the fuel pumps to stop working? along with the gas gauge? and also i need to know what color is the power wire on both tanks so i can see if there is power back there thanks Darrin
Old 12-11-2009, 09:46 AM
Mechanicalmike08

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

IM not sure but on the 90 is there a separte fuse in the block that takes care of the fuel pumps because i think my 95 does but yea if the switch is bad too it will cause problems, usually the truck will only crank and wont start
Old 12-22-2023, 10:55 PM

Default I have a 93, suspect fuel switch in cab

Hi Mechanical Mike 08, so if the switch goes bad, I have a crank no start, can it go bad just sitting? I have a weird front tank prime sound, and the rear will no longer prime, is there a way to test the switch?

Originally Posted by Mechanicalmike08
IM not sure but on the 90 is there a separte fuse in the block that takes care of the fuel pumps because i think my 95 does but yea if the switch is bad too it will cause problems, usually the truck will only crank and wont start
Old 12-22-2023, 11:35 PM

Received 492 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 Fseries
Hi Mechanical Mike 08, so if the switch goes bad, I have a crank no start, can it go bad just sitting? I have a weird front tank prime sound, and the rear will no longer prime, is there a way to test the switch?
Watch the dates. You are responding to a 13 year old thread and he hasn't logged in for 8 years.
Your best bet is to check fuel pressure and that will tell you if fuel is reaching the fuel rail. A bad pump is more likely than that switch going bad.
The following users liked this post:
93 Fseries (12-23-2023)
Old 12-23-2023, 02:24 PM

Ahh I missed that thanks! I will get a gauge on it then! take it from there! thanks and happy holidays!
Old 12-23-2023, 02:25 PM

when parked gauges worked right, also now, both tanks show overfull. like pegged.

Quick Reply: Fuel selector switch bad?