Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump

Well i was out back roading to day with my buddy. We got about 2 miles from my house when it all of a sudden died and wouldnt start but you could here it fire. It was like it was out of gas. So I turned the key and listened for the sound of a fuel pump clicking on and didnt hear nothing. So ethier theres a fuse or something thats blown or a cable that came unplugged after we hit alot of pot holes over the night. Just wondering what are my options right now and if the fuel pump is gone how much well it cost and how much work is involved in changing the fuel pump. Also I want to start using my rear tank and it seems to not switch over to it but it shows how much gas is in it on the guage, yet you still end up burning the fuel from the front tank. So what could cause that? Is there a valve thats wore out or something. And if that valve is not switching the fuel lines over then would that cause the fuel pump to not turn on in the back also. My last question is if I eliminated the front tank would that make it easier to use the rear tank. Or for another story should I just fix the fuel pump on the first tank and keep using it considering I dont know what kind of shape the rear tank is in when it comes to being clean. Thanks any help would be apreciated.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:32 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you were driving over a lot of pot-holes, then perhaps you jarred the fuel shut-off switch hard enough to make it think you had been in an accident. Check the owner's manual for instructions on how to reset the fuel shut-off switch and see if that helps.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:16 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

^+1 - inertia switch would be a good first place to check if you were out thumping and bumping around.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:31 PM

I think I fifgured it out, the fuel filter was clogged. I guess I have a really bad set of gas tanks with alot of rust in them because i have replaced the fuel filter twice since I've owned it and its only been like 6 months. Thats 1 every 3 months. So I guess I will keep driving the old beast and changeing the fuel filter every 2 months or so. There cheap so why not? Anyway it was completely clogged close to where no thinner would even pour threw it. Thats clogged if you ask me. So I'm waiting for my dad to get back with my new filter. Thx for the replys tho.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:46 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

At least you figured it out!

Now, you just gotta save up for some new tanks...
Old 03-02-2008, 01:31 AM
FORDZILLA

i would also check out the fuel pump relay switch, it is a little box looking thing on the drivers side under the hood on the wheel well. my truck did the same thing once so i self tested the relay and found out it was bad, after a trip to napa and like $10 it worked fine again.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump