Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Fuel Pump???

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump???

1987 Ford F-150, 302 V8, EEC-IV, dual tanks,

Ok. I have replaced the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, air filter, and fuel filter. The engine will start and run for a few seconds and then it will slowly die out and stall. If I try to restart it will crank but no fire up. I can then crank again and sometimes it will fire up, run, and then die again. I can hear the front (outside the tank) fuel pump, but it sounds like it is whining, and sometimes it seems like it is struggling to pump. I am thinking I need a new fuel pump. Any other suggestions?

Also, on the fuel line in order from the engine to the fuel tanks there is the fuel filter, fuel pump, and an unknown object. It looks a lot like a water/fuel separator from a boat, but smaller. It might be the tank selector? Did ford put water/fuel separators on these trucks or is this something else?

Thanks!

Last edited by thisuldoit; 09-29-2007 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a fuel pump for about 140.00. Instead of dropping the tank I pulled the bed off and it made it a very easy job. For trouble shooting I think it would be worth it?!
Old 10-21-2007, 10:23 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

The extra object in the fuel line should be the tank switching device. Should see lines from both tanks terminating to this device. The high pressure fuel pump is common to both tanks. There is no water separator on gas engines that I am aware of.

If it's not running for long, I would look at the high-pressure fuel pump mounted along the frame rail as a high likelihood, particular since it's making unusual noises.

Can check by putting a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail - should be a Schrader-type valve to connect to, in order to verify a fuel supply problem. Pressure should stay in the 30-40psi range.

Does this happen with both tanks? Your model most likely has a low-pressure pump and related fuel screen in each fuel tank which may bear some further troubleshooting.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tested the fuel pressure and it is good. I then ran the codes on the engine and got codes 52, 53, and 87. I am not worried right now about 52, but 53 is the TP circuit above maximum voltage and 87 is the fuel pump primary circuit failure. I am experiencing a surging idle as well as a situation where I push on the accelerator it will run at around 2K then begin to die out and then surge again (it also surges at idle). I think this is the TP going bad (code 53). As for the fuel pump, I think that has also gone bad, but it is maintaining the correct pressure right now, so I am going to skip it for the moment.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump???