Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Fuel Line head scratcher

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Line head scratcher

I have a 94 f-150 with a dual tank set up. The front tank stop working years ago so I switched to the rear only. Truck had been running fine but all of a sudden I wasn't getting fuel to the carb.

I assumed that my rear pump was dead so I bought a new tank with the pump and assembly already in place. After getting everthing replaced I still am not getting fuel to the carb.

I opened the line at the fuel filter and it had remaining preassure ( all over my face). However I left the line open and turn the key and no fuel came out. I think I am hearing the fuel pump engage so why is the fuel not coming thru the line.

Could it be getting stop somewhere elese in line like maybe the front fuel assembly since they are connected???
Old 01-17-2013, 01:22 PM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I would change the fuel filter and check the fuel pump relay. You also may have a stoped up fuel line, also check fuel pressure with gauge.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did check the relay and that seems good. I switched it with the horn relay I knew was working and that seems to be fine. As I said I hear the pump kick in. I have the line wide open before it enters the fuel filter, and nothing comes out.

I assume the line from the back tank merges with the front tank line. I'm asking if someone understands that route the fuel takes to get to the fuel filter. It seems to be blocked.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:46 AM

Both tanks run to a switching valve you can take the fuel line that runs from the
Rear to the valve loose to see if you have pressure there . I would also check to see
If you have power to the swiching valve to see if its worrking properly. That valve maybe
Bad
Old 01-18-2013, 08:50 AM

That valve is before the filter. The valve should be next to the transmission crossmember mounted on the driverside frame rail.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:05 AM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

The pump will only spit out a small amount with filter unhooked. Thought i could drain the tank that way, but wont work. Seems to have a shutoff if there is no back pressure
Old 01-18-2013, 12:18 PM
imp

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

"Carb" you said? I hope yer not feeding EFI pressure to a carburetor! imp
Old 01-18-2013, 07:28 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by 87f-150
That valve is before the filter. The valve should be next to the transmission crossmember mounted on the driverside frame rail.
Originally Posted by sdmartin65
The pump will only spit out a small amount with filter unhooked. Thought i could drain the tank that way, but wont work. Seems to have a shutoff if there is no back pressure
91-96 trucks do not have a "switching valve". The lines are teed to each pump in each tank. Just because the pump in on, doesn't mean its working properly or you have some severe blockage in the lines somewhere from rust and corrosion. You need to have the fuel pressure tested with a gauge.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:36 PM
broke white boy

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

might as well get a new filter,
unhook the lines at each section pumps/filter/behind the engine.

use an air compressor with a blow nozzle, blow out each section of line.

your front tanks pump might have gone bad where the one way check valve it letting the fuel from the rear tank to feed directly into the front tank, but you should still get fuel from the rear coming out of the line even if it is feeding the front.

Quick Reply: Fuel Line head scratcher