Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Fuel Filter Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Shazzam!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fuel Filter Replacement

So, inline fuel filter. I bought one the other day when I was at the store getting some Engine Brite. I found the filter on the inside of the frame. It appears that I just unplug the one that's there and put the new one in. Anything I should look out for? This sort of thing is always the one thing that looks simple, then I do it, then the truck won't start or something like that...

As always, any help or input is much appreciated. You guys rule.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spent nearly two hours trying to change mine the first time, even though it should be a 5-10 minute job.

The first thing is you're going to need a special tool to take the QD fittings off of the filter. Go to your local parts store, find the Tools/Help section, and buy a package of plastic Quick-Disconnect fitting things. Do not get the metal scissor looking tool, it's garbage. Stick with the round plastic things that look like this. It's going to run you $8-10.

Then when you get home, look on your motor for a schrader valve on the fuel rail. Mine is on the drivers side, towards the front, with a black plastic cap on it. Wrap a rag around it and use something to depress the pin to let the fuel out of the line. Be careful here because it's going to spray everywhere and you don't want a face full of fuel.

Alternatively, you could pull the fuse for the fuel pump and let your truck run until it dies.

Then you're going to crawl under your truck and find the fuel filter. Mine is right between the frame rail and gas tank, and it makes me want to smack the engineer at Ford that decided it couldn't be 6" further down the rail where I can actually get my hand to it.

There are little metal clip things on either side that you should be able to unhook. Now find the little plastic fitting that fits around the fuel filter prong (mine was gray, for what it's worth), and slide it into the QD fitting (you might want to spray a blast of penetrating oil in there first if it looks really dirty). From there, you should be able to pull the line off. Gas is still going to go everywhere because while the pressure is out of the lines, the filter is still full, so watch out for that.

Once you have both lines off, pull the filter out of the bracket, slide the new one in, re-attach the hoses, put the clips back, and you're done.

If you pulled the fuel pump fuse, don't forget to put it back or you're going to be scratching your head wondering why it won't start.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by shroomie
I spent nearly two hours trying to change mine the first time, even though it should be a 5-10 minute job.

The first thing is you're going to need a special tool to take the QD fittings off of the filter. Go to your local parts store, find the Tools/Help section, and buy a package of plastic Quick-Disconnect fitting things. Do not get the metal scissor looking tool, it's garbage. Stick with the round plastic things that look like this. It's going to run you $8-10.

Then when you get home, look on your motor for a schrader valve on the fuel rail. Mine is on the drivers side, towards the front, with a black plastic cap on it. Wrap a rag around it and use something to depress the pin to let the fuel out of the line. Be careful here because it's going to spray everywhere and you don't want a face full of fuel.

Alternatively, you could pull the fuse for the fuel pump and let your truck run until it dies.

Then you're going to crawl under your truck and find the fuel filter. Mine is right between the frame rail and gas tank, and it makes me want to smack the engineer at Ford that decided it couldn't be 6" further down the rail where I can actually get my hand to it.

There are little metal clip things on either side that you should be able to unhook. Now find the little plastic fitting that fits around the fuel filter prong (mine was gray, for what it's worth), and slide it into the QD fitting (you might want to spray a blast of penetrating oil in there first if it looks really dirty). From there, you should be able to pull the line off. Gas is still going to go everywhere because while the pressure is out of the lines, the filter is still full, so watch out for that.

Once you have both lines off, pull the filter out of the bracket, slide the new one in, re-attach the hoses, put the clips back, and you're done.

If you pulled the fuel pump fuse, don't forget to put it back or you're going to be scratching your head wondering why it won't start.

How much of a PIA are those QD fittings to get OFF the old filter and ON the new filter? I never dun one either - and must eventually prepare for more vintage ford engineering surprises like "QD" fittings that I'm not familiar with.

What TOOL takes those thing off and on?

THNX!
Old 03-14-2011, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by djhives
How much of a PIA are those QD fittings to get OFF the old filter and ON the new filter? I never dun one either - and must eventually prepare for more vintage ford engineering surprises like "QD" fittings that I'm not familiar with.

What TOOL takes those thing off and on?

THNX!
If you buy this tool it will be a massive PITA and you're going to hate life for a little while. Mostly because the tool itself is a cheap POS and never lines up correctly.

If you buy a kit like this it's pretty simple as long as your hand can fit between the gas tank and frame rail.

Putting them back on is really simple, they just plug right onto the filter.

Also, if you can, buy a Motorcraft fuel filter. The Purolator filter I bought last time was a tiny bit bigger and it didn't want to go into the clamp very easily.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by shroomie
If you buy this tool it will be a massive PITA and you're going to hate life for a little while. Mostly because the tool itself is a cheap POS and never lines up correctly.

If you buy a kit like this it's pretty simple as long as your hand can fit between the gas tank and frame rail.

Putting them back on is really simple, they just plug right onto the filter.

Also, if you can, buy a Motorcraft fuel filter. The Purolator filter I bought last time was a tiny bit bigger and it didn't want to go into the clamp very easily.

OK I see little plastic disc thingys --- how do they work exactly?

Do they hook to a ratchet or what?

Old 03-14-2011, 06:49 PM
Just call me sean. Really

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

Just for the record, I think what you guys are talking about up there is for only some of the trucks. My '91 4.9L requires all of 2 new plastic clips(if case you break the old ones) and a flat blade screwdriver. When I did mine, I just undid the 2 clips by sliding the flat blade between the line and the top of the clip (mine were nearly U shaped). Turn the screwdriver to start pulling the clip off. Now you can take the lines off.

I took the line from the engine off first, and just let it drain into a small container. Then the line from the back and let it drain until I could hold the fuel line vertically and fuel didn't come out. Then put the filter back in place, clip it in and done.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by mustangGT90210
Just for the record, I think what you guys are talking about up there is for only some of the trucks. My '91 4.9L requires all of 2 new plastic clips(if case you break the old ones) and a flat blade screwdriver. When I did mine, I just undid the 2 clips by sliding the flat blade between the line and the top of the clip (mine were nearly U shaped). Turn the screwdriver to start pulling the clip off. Now you can take the lines off.

I took the line from the engine off first, and just let it drain into a small container. Then the line from the back and let it drain until I could hold the fuel line vertically and fuel didn't come out. Then put the filter back in place, clip it in and done.
I just did mine last weekend and went just like he said. one u shaped clip on each end of the filter. on my truck the filter is infront of the gas tank so there was no problem getting to it. took about 5 minutes to change. thats including the time it took to wash the gas off my face cause i wasnt smart enough to drain the gas out of the line first.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by djhives
OK I see little plastic disc thingys --- how do they work exactly?

Do they hook to a ratchet or what?

[IMG]http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/grn/25052/image/4/[IMG]

[IMG]http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/1/18/128767674407801521.jpg[IMG]
You just clip them onto the fuel filter and then slide them inside the quick-disconnect fitting. It should pull off after that.

I don't know what year they started implementing that style of fittings, but I know my '95 has them.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:31 PM

My 94 4.9 required the little plastic things. infact it was the grey one as well.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 95 4.9 has the two little metal clips, NO tools required aside from elbow grease. It was too easy almost, I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out what I'd left out, but that was it; empty the line, front clip off, front prong out n down, rear clip off, then reversed it. Stupid easy
FWIW, I think they used different styles on the same models, maybe different plants implemented different fittings? Sounds par for the course considering

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter Replacement