Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

front gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front gas tank

does any one know what the problem may be when the front gas tank does not work but the rear does for a 94 f150 i switch to the tank and it just boggs down. i just got the truck about a month ago so all kinds of tune ups had to be done i just dont know how to fix this problem
Old 02-19-2009, 09:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the truck off, flip the switch to the front tank. Turn the key on but don't start the truck. Do you hear the tank prime (hum) for 2 seconds?

If you're not sure what you're listening for, try the rear tank to hear the pump prime.

You probably won't hear the front one, which would mean a bad fuel pump. This is common, and makes us glad we have two tanks. It's not a terrible job to swap out the pump, but if you're not sure about working with lots of gas and such, it's about $400-500 at a shop depending on what all the replace. They will usually replace the sender (tells the guage how much gas you have), the wiring harness, and if the pump has been bad for quite awhile, the tank is probably so nasty that they'll want to replace that too. No matter what you replace, a new fuel filter will be in order too.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:33 PM

Default Front Gas Tank

ok so i turned the key on to listen for the prime from the front tank and i didnt hear it so like it was said it may be a bad fuel pump. is the fuel pump located in the tank itself, and if so with the tank full of gas will it be an issue when trying to replace the fuel pump.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:39 PM

Yes. You'll want to siphon out the gas before you do anything. And disconnect the negative battery cable.

Bleed fuel pressure - easy way with a dead tank, start the truck and select that tank - once the gas in the fuel rail is gone, it'll die and you're ready to do the tank.

If you unbolt the two straps until the nuts are almost off, it will lean over far enough to unhook the wiring harness and fuel lines. You also need to unhook the filler hose.

Be ready with something to support the tank - it's fairly heavy (especially when you're laying on your back and only have one free hand to hold it up with while you undo the straps). Some guys use transmission jacks, I used sand bags (that were in the bed for winter driving). Made a nice soft spot for the tank to land in case I dropped it, and once both ends were down, I slid it off the sand bags and onto a large sheet of cardboard. Easy to slide it without sparks that way.

If you have a chilton or haynes manual, it'll take you step by step through the process of pump replacement. If you don't, this link will guide you:
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm

Obviously, if you have other questions or run into trouble, that's what this forum is for.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:34 PM

Thanks man i appreciate the help im gonna work on it this weekend Ill see how it goes i also need to replace the ball bearings and powersteering gear box. thanks again
Old 02-21-2009, 12:27 AM

Sounds like a good weekend! Stock up on your favorite adult beverage, and keep us posted!

Quick Reply: front gas tank