Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

F150 XL won't start

Old 08-15-2015, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F150 XL won't start

This is my first post and hope I don't step on toes and hope I'm in the right place to post my question. 1994 F150 won't start. 6 cyl and just about everything has been replaced except distributor, which will be my next endeavor - but, I found a sticker under the hood about an auto fuel shut off switch. Trying to find the location of this switch on the internet has had me all over/under hood, dash, floor board and I have yet to find it. Can anyone tell me where this little bad boy might be located? Sure would appreciate any help as I'd like to get on the road. Thanks in advance

Last edited by Beachman827; 08-15-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:41 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Should be behind the passenger side kick panel. It's called an inertia switch, it's to cut the fuel pumps off if you're in an accident.
Before you go ripping your interior apart looking for it, is a lack of fuel pressure the problem ?
First turn the key off and then on and listen. Do you hear the pump run for about 2 seconds ? If you do, don't bother with the inertia switch, it's not the problem.
Second, do you have a spark ? Dig up a spark plug somewhere, use a booster cable to ground it, then take one of the spark plug wires off the motor and plug it in. Now crank the motor over and watch for a spark. If you have a spark, don't mess with the distributor.
So you need to know if your fuel pumps are actually coming on and you need to know if you're getting a spark. There are other tests, but if you figure those 2 things out then you can be looking in the right direction. Don't just throw parts at it, that's just way too expensive.
And don't assume that a new part works - sometimes they don't.
The following users liked this post:
Beachman827 (08-19-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 05:19 PM

I don't get much chance to work on this truck. But just turning on ignition I hear nothing from the fuel pump(s) - which is why I tried to find the cut off switch which I still have no idea where it may be located. The interior isn't hard to pull back, which I have done on the passenger side, but when you say kick panel are you talking under the rubber bushing on the floor board or under the the screwed down plate where the door is? Also I might add that the ignition switch doesn't seem quite right, does that have something to do with the fuel pump, by that I mean does it have control over the fuel pump?
Old 08-19-2015, 05:54 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

On my truck there is a large circular retaining clip that must be removed, and it is further held in place by two interior-type clips that must be popped out (similar to door panels).

The driver's side kick panel has the opening for the hood release lever, so you can use that for reference for locating the passenger side.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:24 PM

Sorry didn't mean to sound so dumb. Found the switch and is depressed all the way down. Didn't seem like it needed reset. Like I had stated the fuel pump doesn't seem to be working - no sound from under truck when turning key on. Any way to prime it - old school - to see if it fires?
Old 08-19-2015, 08:45 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Starting fluid - pull the intake hose off your throttle body and hold the throttle plates open.
3 second burst into the throttle body then go turn the key.
If it starts for a couple seconds, you have a fuel problem.
If your fuel pump isn't priming it could be a bad f/p relay. That's in the power distribution box beside the air filter.
Or a bad pump. Or a bad wire. Or a bad ECM.
Start with the relay. You can swap in one of the other ones.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F150 XL won't start