Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Exhaust leak??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust leak??

Hey i have a 1994 f150 with a 5.0 302 and have been experiencing a sort of clicking sound that seems to be coming from the back of the engine on the drivers side. i only really notice it when my truck upshifts and when the rpms around 1000 to 1200. i was thinking this could be a bad exhaust manifold gasket, but i was wondering if this could be somthing more major. i can barley hear it when driving but i can only hear it if im trying to.

thanks for your time,

Ben
Old 01-02-2009, 06:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck... I've been chasing this for quite awhile myself. Mine sounds like it's coming from everywhere, but using a stethoscope to locate it, I can't find it coming from anywhere. You can check my thread a ways down the list titled "tick tick tick" for some good ideas.

If it's really toward the back of the motor, when it's cold, you can feel around the exhaust collector to see if it's a bad donut gasket. Could be in the smog pump plumbing behind the motor too, or the torque converter. (among a million other things)
Old 01-03-2009, 04:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also check the manifold for cracks, mine along with one at work cracked just before the down pipe on the inside, block side, of the manifold. Mine has continued to crack until the down pipe and last cylinder is totally separated from the other three cylinders. Mine cracked on the passengers side the one at work cracked on the drivers side both in the same area.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:09 AM
backyard basher

my truck does this too. aliens8mycow: you might not be able to find it with a stethascope because it only does it when theres resistance against the engine. at least thats the only time mine does it, if i gas it in neutral it purs like a kitten

EDIT: i let a buddy drive my truck the other day, and as i was sitting in the passeneger seat, it sounded much louder out the window than it does on the driver side, which makes me guess it may be comming from the passenger side on my truck

Last edited by medeski; 01-03-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine does it all the time (volume changes depending on whether it's under load or not), but it's always ticking.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:27 PM

Thanks for all the input. I go back to high school in a couple days and i am going to put it up on the lift in my advanced autos class to check everything out.

thanks again,

Ben

Quick Reply: Exhaust leak??