Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Engine is tired, transmission is shot. What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine is tired, transmission is shot. What are my options?

It's a 95 f150, 4x4, flareside, 4rw70 (or something like that) auto tranny. It has 200k miles on it. I was planning on replacing the engine with a low mileage engine later this year, but since my tranny is going out, I figured I'd do both now.

Where do I buy the combo? EBay? Junkyard? Other? I'm looking for something that works but doesn't kill my bank account. I've been dealing with a $5k ac repair in my home, among other things, so I want to go with low mileage equipment that will work when it's installed. I'll have to pay someone for the installation as well, as I don't really have time and don't really have the necessary tools/know how.

I'm leery of rebuilding what I have... I've never seen a tranny rebuild end well. I've known 5+ guys with different vehicles who used different shops all end up with problematic transmissions after "rebuilds"

On the other hand, if I buy a junkyard tranny, and it doesn't work, I'm out the labor for installation even if there is a parts warranty.

Maybe the engine rebuild is worth it, what do you think? How much should I expect to pay for a good rebuild?

Just trying to quickly figure out options, I can't limp my truck along for much longer.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:41 AM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

Default Engine is tired, transmission is shot. What are my options?

Thing about transmission rebuilds is that most builders refuse to replace hard parts that fail or the OEMs have since upgraded. They just replace clutches and gaskets. Some don't even replace the steel plates or even go as far as to inspect the pump and valve body.

Find a local builder that offers a 2 or 3 year warranty. Also research the year of your transmission and see if there are hard parts that Ford upgraded after yours was manufactured.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:05 PM

Received 275 Likes on 190 Posts

Jasper?

http://www.jasperengines.com/index.php
Old 07-30-2015, 12:29 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Whereabouts are you at ? I'm in South Ontario. I've got a used one of those trannys in my garage. Pulled it out of a daily driver. At least I know it was working good.

If you're too far away, maybe shop around. I can't be the only one who has one kicking around.
I know rebuild sounds more certain, but I just can't get past what they charge.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:13 PM

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tsigwing
jasper isnt cheap but i have seen several of their crate motors/transmissions turn out really well. if you have a jasper authorized place do it, they usually have a good warranty too.

Quick Reply: Engine is tired, transmission is shot. What are my options?