Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

engine temp gauge won't go past the "N" in normal, heater is working.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 11:57 PM
Jon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default engine temp gauge won't go past the "N" in normal, heater is working.

Hi guys,

Decided to change out the hoses on the 94 f150 and flush the coolant out as the previous owner just used regular old water and there was a crazy amount of rust, lots of distilled water later the truck was finally flushed out decently. Before my last flush I decided to take her out for a spin to make sure the last bit of water made it through the engine and I noticed that the temp gauge would NOT go past "N" in normal.

I figured the thermostat was probably stuck open and it didn't matter since i was replacing it.

new thermostat, new hoses and coolant and still the engine temp won't go past the "N".

Figured it was a faulty thermostat, replaced it again, still the same thing!

Here's the thing, the heater in the car works just fine, gets super hot. I can tell the thermostat is closing/opening because if I start up the car, the upper radiator hose won't get warm, but after a while of the car idling, it gets hot.

I'm pretty much at a loss at what to do since most people tend to have this issue along with their heater not working, but mines working just fine! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jon

Last edited by Jon Singh; 08-12-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:31 AM
Jon

Just some thinking, is it possible that my engine coolant temperature sensor was somehow fouled? Is that the sensor that is sticking out of the thermostat housing?
Old 08-12-2015, 01:13 AM
Jon

also, i just noticed the trucks gas mileage has gone down pretty drastically, and the temperature gauge itself seems to fluctuate between the C and the N, even at full throttle
Old 08-12-2015, 05:06 AM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

The ECT sender looks like

the sensor that the PCM uses looks like .

Your "issue" is with the sending unit, though as long as the gauge is moving it's working. It's just that some sit in a different place than others, as well as the chance that it has some buildup that could be masking the temp a little. I would replace it but keep in mind that the ECT gauge is just a dummy gauge, the letters mean absolutely nothing, what matters is where the needle will normally sit. With replacing it the needle will now have a new normal position that you will have to get used to.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:31 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My temp gauge was doing the same thing a new ect sender fix the problem. Also did a after market temp gauge along with oil temp, volts and rpm. They look good lol but they also give a better reading

Quick Reply: engine temp gauge won't go past the "N" in normal, heater is working.