Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Engine ping

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine ping

I have a 1987 f150 with a 302 and auto overdrive. The vehicle has 37k original miles and the engine is basically as it was when it rolled off the line. I am having pinging issues when accelerating - most noticeably when it shifts between 2nd and 3rd gear. The coil and wires are original - not sure about the plugs. I have not checked timing as yet but plan to do so soon. Any words of wisdom? If I replace the coil and wires any suggestions on what to replace with?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2015, 09:19 PM

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

If you're going to replace the coil and wires you might as well do the cap, rotor, and plugs at the same time. If you don't know when the last time a service was done I'd also replace the fuel filter, check the air filter, see if the trans needs service, and if the rear diff has never been serviced I'd do that too. All simple stuff that doesn't cost much and is easy to do in an afternoon. See if the coolant is still in good shape, check the air filter.

Then check the timing and make sure you have good gas in it.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Crownman
If you're going to replace the coil and wires you might as well do the cap, rotor, and plugs at the same time. If you don't know when the last time a service was done I'd also replace the fuel filter, check the air filter, see if the trans needs service, and if the rear diff has never been serviced I'd do that too. All simple stuff that doesn't cost much and is easy to do in an afternoon. See if the coolant is still in good shape, check the air filter.

Then check the timing and make sure you have good gas in it.
Thank you! I've got some work to do but it's all good.

Quick Reply: Engine ping