Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

emergency brakes.how to remove them,permanently?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 11:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default emergency brakes.how to remove them,permanently?

rear brakes been locking up on me bad,right when ive been changing the shoes.thought for sure it was the shoe.I got pulled home last night.back left tire wouldnt budge at all.all 3 of us tingled/messed with the emergency cord,yanked on it cpl times.wheel easily turned there after.

starting the truck up,in 1st gear and take off.it takes a strong kick to get it moving.making it accelerate harder than usual to make it move.

plus yest on down the road,it made the loudest screeching noise ive ever heard! wasn't normal at all,not even for brakes,to make that sound.stepdad heard it since he was tailing me.checked both shoes,they looked fine.

i believe its the emergency brake giving way cause its harder than usual to move forward once in 1st gear,that LOUD screeching sound,wheel becomes loose after tugging on the cable cord and shoes look fine.its def coming from the brake section.

I dont need that emergency brake like never.it's just getting in the way and causing me more pain.So,how do i get rid of it for good? its going bye bye once i know how to rid of it for good.

p.s. everyone (if you explain to me how to do this,it won't help much.i need a print/pic to how its done,a visual.you can go ahead and explain it,but if i dont know whats what or etc,wont be much help)

once again,for the millionth time,ty all for any help with my truck issues.

Last edited by Dripper; 07-13-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:52 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Change the cables. You need an emergency brake, you know, for emergencies.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:20 AM
Top Gun

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Underneath the cab should.be a single wore connected to two..cut it and shes good to go
Old 07-13-2012, 03:48 AM

Received 112 Likes on 109 Posts

I think you have a sticking cylinder or bad spring or malfunctioning self adjusted. The e brake tightens only when the cable is pulled. It can't activate itself. Lift the rear wheels and set the brake then release it. You can easily hear if it moves or not. If it sticks and the wheels are hard to turn then you may need new cables. To test it simply disconnect the cable from the e brake lever on the shoe. Tie it.out of the way with a zip tie. Also secure the lever so it won't hit anything. But my money is on other parts. Again pull the drum and operate the brakes. See that all runs smoothly. Make sure the self adjuster isn't in backward and actuates properly. Check the return springs. It is also possible for the RABS to fail and lock the rear brakes. Try flushing the fluid.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Warlockk
I think you have a sticking cylinder or bad spring or malfunctioning self adjusted. The e brake tightens only when the cable is pulled. It can't activate itself. Lift the rear wheels and set the brake then release it. You can easily hear if it moves or not. If it sticks and the wheels are hard to turn then you may need new cables. To test it simply disconnect the cable from the e brake lever on the shoe. Tie it.out of the way with a zip tie. Also secure the lever so it won't hit anything. But my money is on other parts. Again pull the drum and operate the brakes. See that all runs smoothly. Make sure the self adjuster isn't in backward and actuates properly. Check the return springs. It is also possible for the RABS to fail and lock the rear brakes. Try flushing the fluid.
I've installed new springs on both sides,new shoes,new cable for the shoes.If the e brake activates only when it is pulled,then what could be pulling it if not me? adjuster is in there properly,both sides. what area RABS? tho you've explianed how to rid of the e brake,i still need a mental pic how its done.it works alot better for me.i appreciate your help! all you guys out there!
Old 07-14-2012, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
Change the cables. You need an emergency brake, you know, for emergencies.
nah i dont really need the e brake.....it's getting in the way.i rarely park on a hill anyway.youve helped me alot as well man,appreciate it tons!

the e brake is going bye bye soon as i can figure out how.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

http://c.fixya.net/fixya20/uploads/Images/C538836.gif

where it says parking brake cable you disconnect that and bye bye ebrake

though i would fix it instead of just disabling it.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:48 AM

That is my point about the ebrake. It's pulled not pushed. So it would be hard highly unlikely for it to activate itself. When you set it it pulls against all the springs on the brakes. It is common for it to stick when applied but almost impossible for it to apply itself. Just take a look at the diagrams they sent to see how it operates. RABS is the rear antilock brake system. It's possible for the pressure return valve to stick closed and not allow the hydraulic pressure to release. It's more likely than the brake working backwards or setting itself.

Last edited by Warlockk; 07-15-2012 at 03:52 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:27 AM

This reminds me of the old mans '97 F250HD, I was driving manuals daily and when I was gonna get out of his I pushed it down. It held great, but took one guy pulling the release lever, and another pulling on the cable from below to disengage it. Lesson that day - Use it often, or don't ever touch it.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by wintersucks
This reminds me of the old mans '97 F250HD, I was driving manuals daily and when I was gonna get out of his I pushed it down. It held great, but took one guy pulling the release lever, and another pulling on the cable from below to disengage it. Lesson that day - Use it often, or don't ever touch it.
Yeah that's a common issue especially in snow / salt areas. The cables rust. Easy fix though.

Quick Reply: emergency brakes.how to remove them,permanently?