Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

E4OD slipping and harsh shifts

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default E4OD slipping and harsh shifts

Before someone tells me to change the transmission fluid, I changed it in November of 2015 due to a torque converter shudder. The TCC shudder was resolved with new fluid and filter.

My 92 f150 5.0 E4OD has 200k miles and began shifting hard during the 1-2 upshift in late March of this year, mostly after extended high speed driving when the transmission is hot. It was very intermittent to begin with but has been getting worse. It started with an intermittent harsh 1-2 shift when hot, and now has harsh 1-2, 2-3, and occasionally 3-4 upshifts. Not all issues occur during the same drive cycle, but the 1-2 is the most consistent. I did some research and suspect the harsh shifts are due to an accumulator valve body issue since there were no other symptoms.

However, yesterday while driving the truck I noticed a that when taking off from a complete stop in Drive under moderate throttle (~50%), the transmission slips in 1st gear and has a slight shudder, then pulls fine through all gears. After repeating this slip a few times in a row in a parking lot, I noticed that occasionally if enough load is applied, there will be a squawk type noise coming from the transmission. So I assume my Forward clutch is on its way out in addition to issues with the accumulator valve body. The engine light has not come on so I assume there are no codes.

I will note that the transmission does not slip under the same conditions when placed in 1 Low, only when in Drive 1st gear.

Right now I plan on pulling the trans and putting all new friction and steel clutch disks in it along with an accumulator valve body.

Does anyone want to flip a table and tell me I'm going too far or does this seem reasonable?

I hope to pull the trans this weekend or the next.