Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Distributor Cap 4.9

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 10:56 PM
Huh?

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Distributor Cap 4.9

Wow.. i got worried today i changed plugs wires and dist cap/rotor on my truck... after I got done i went to start it up.. and nothing... the motor turned over but no fire.. and i could smell the gas from the exhaust pipes..

So i check cap for the right firing order.. I find the number 1 post on cap and double check.. 1-5-3-6-2-4 yep its right so what the hells the problem?? Well i get on the internet to find a diagram of the firing order just to double check.. they all say 1-5-3-6-2-4 but i noticed somthing.. on all the diagrams the #1 post is 1 post to the right of the mounting screw.. but on my cap its 2 post to the right?? so i assume what the hell ill try it anyway.. sure enough it fires right up after i move all the wires 1 post to the left..

So now im curious and go find my old cap to see where it has #1 post marked... it was 2 post to the right of the mounting screw?? what the hell??? is this just a mistake made on all distributor caps or what??
Old 10-26-2009, 11:06 PM
Upper Middle Class

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

sooo im taking it that you have bad luck with your truck like i do with mine.... im happy to hear it started though.... i know how stressful it can get sometimes.... i probably would have threw a wrench through my windshield.... but anyways, i haven't heard anything about the distrubutor caps being marked wrong
Old 10-26-2009, 11:21 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

There's a lesson learned!....... I think.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:03 AM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

You distributor is off, which is why your plug wires are one spot off. It doesn't mean the truck won't run right, it just means the rotor is pointing to the wrong spot so the wires are moved to those spots. You can stab the distributor in there however you want, as long as you put #1 on the terminal the rotor is pointing at it will run fine. As long as you still have enough rotation of the distributor to time it, that is.

Quick Reply: Distributor Cap 4.9