Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Diff. Fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Diff. Fluid change

Hey guys, I got a quick couple of questions i hope you can help me with, Purchased a 96 F150 W/ 4.9 Inline 6. Seems to have the Diff. leaking around the gasket, so going to go ahead and replace the gasket. The truck came with no owners manual, so have no idea on fluid Qty. and type of fluid. Also, How can i tell if i have the Limited slip.? Any help with this would really be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Old 06-13-2009, 10:09 PM

As long as you still have the original rear end in it, this link should help you ID yours. You can find your axle code in the driver's door jamb.

www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/ring_and_pinions/what_rear_end_ratio_do_i_have_in_my_ford__is_it_po si.html
Old 06-14-2009, 07:54 AM

Admiller316,
Hey, Thanks for that reference, it was what i needed
Im new to the site and still trying to learn my way around, but
am really enjoying it.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:53 AM

Diffs usually don't have gaskets, you just use RTV in a tube stuff. I hate using that stuff for things like water pumps and thermostats b/c placement of the parts/gaskets is critical and leaves little room for error. On the rear ends however, it's a different story. Using RTV instead of a gasket makes is significantly easier.

While you've got it open, check the magnetic plug and bottom of the housing for metal shavings.

Not sure exactly what the capacity of your diff is, but you should spring for the synthetic stuff. It costs a little extra, but the chances are that this will be the last time you replace it. I think mine held about two bottles of Royal purple gear oil (not sure b/c my tranny uses the same fluid and it took a good bit to fill both).

Quick Reply: Diff. Fluid change