Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Dents in fender from forehead..

Old 02-11-2009, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dents in fender from forehead..

This happened about a week ago..
Driving home it just cut out, rolled to a stop, tried to re-start it- cranked, and cranked nothin'
Had it towed.
Been trying to trace the problem ever since, replaced the Distributor,new module, new stator, new coil.

It will crank, but wont start- there is no power going to either the Dist, or Coil. I turn the Key, lights go on on the Dash- no sounds.
Tried to pull codes: wont flash, wont make fuel pump sounds no relay sounds- nothing. silence.
I dont know where else to go from here.. I have power going to everything but the coil / dist. it wont run, -just cranks.

Where Does the Power Come From For the Coil / Distributor???
Any One been through this B4?? Help?
Sorry,-1988 F150 5.0 EFI 4x4 Lariat
Old 02-11-2009, 08:57 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

It sounds like the computer isn't getting power. Check the fusible links bolted to the solenoid. Check the computer relay, the coil and distributor get their power from it. There's also a fusible link after the computer relay. The relays are on or next to the air box. The computer relay is the one with a red wire, a yellow wire, a red wire with a light green stripe, and a black wire. The yellow wire should always have power. The red wire should have power with the key on. You can bypass the computer relay by hooking power to the red wire, but if the fusible link after the relay is blown then it won't help unless you bypass that too. The fuel pump relay is the other relay, and it gets it's "turn on" signal from the computer relay red wire too.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default ground

check next to the battery and see if the ground wire is connected. I did a motor swap and wire harness swap/ the wire next to the battery wasn't hooked up and it did the exact same thing yours is now....we couldn't get the fuel pump to hum, and no fire.... hooked up the ground and the pump came on. (it runs to the core suppport)
Old 02-13-2009, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by FOMOCO466
check next to the battery and see if the ground wire is connected. I did a motor swap and wire harness swap/ the wire next to the battery wasn't hooked up and it did the exact same thing yours is now....we couldn't get the fuel pump to hum, and no fire.... hooked up the ground and the pump came on. (it runs to the core suppport)
Ground wire.?...but i'm getting crank power..?..-you lost me..
A secondary Ground off of the main Battery cable??
What should I be searching for??
Old 02-13-2009, 07:26 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes a secondary ground not the battery ground. Components all have their own grounds, all grounds have to be connected for all systems to work. Wish I was current on your 88 model, sounds like good advice from both members.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:48 PM

Default Fuseable link locations

Can anyone get me close to the Fuseable link locations involved with the ignition sys/ EEC areas, and the Solonoid area as well- How many should I be looking for??
1988 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.0 EFI
Thanks..
Old 02-13-2009, 05:48 PM
We'd do it

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
It sounds like the computer isn't getting power. Check the fusible links bolted to the solenoid. Check the computer relay, the coil and distributor get their power from it. There's also a fusible link after the computer relay. The relays are on or next to the air box. The computer relay is the one with a red wire, a yellow wire, a red wire with a light green stripe, and a black wire. The yellow wire should always have power. The red wire should have power with the key on. You can bypass the computer relay by hooking power to the red wire, but if the fusible link after the relay is blown then it won't help unless you bypass that too. The fuel pump relay is the other relay, and it gets it's "turn on" signal from the computer relay red wire too.
It doesn't get any more descriptive than this, except the solenoid is bolted to the passenger fenderwell. The other end of the battery positive bolts to it.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:32 AM

It doesn't get any more descriptive than this, except the solenoid is bolted to the passenger fenderwell. The other end of the battery positive bolts to it.
Thats very clear to me,
Now I know what I'm Looking at,
-Thank You
Old 02-16-2009, 12:07 PM

OK..
I have Power to EEC relay-(Yellow wire)
I have Power to Fuelpump relay -(Black w/Yellow stripe)
No other power from wires-
12v test light used:
With Ignition on, very dim power to red wire entering EEC relay
Very dim power at both sides of 20 gauge fuseble link at relay
NO POWER at COIL- either side key on
(Voltage at either side of coil-key on reading 0.05 Volts power on, or Off.
Procedure in Haynes Manual to check Ignition control module plug:
All voltages at terminals #2, #3, #4 within or at 90% of battery voltage
Key on- run..and Key on -start.
power at Module plug =GOOD

Must check between coil and ignition say book- is there a fuse link elsewhere other than relays-? what else could go wrong between the ignition switch, and coil??
Old 02-16-2009, 08:09 PM
We'd do it

I'm not showing a black wire with a yellow stripe to the fuel pump relay. Just yellow, red, tan with a light green stripe, and brown. The yellow ire to the fuel pump relay also should always have power, and it has a fusible link bolted to the solenoid. The yellow EEC relay has a fusible link bolted to the solenoid. The red wire from the EEC relay has a fusible link somewhere after the wire comes off the relay. The coil white wire with a light blue stripe has a fusible link, it's somewhere near the firewall on the drivers side where the big mess of wires is.

The coil and distributor should have power with the key on even if the computer isn't receiving power, so that fusible link is probably fried. The EEC relay has power going in but not out, possible bad relay. The EEC relay also turns on the fuel pump, which is why the pump isn't coming on. You definitely have two separate problems going on here.

Hook power to the red wire of the fuel pump relay and to the white wire with the light blue stripe on the coil and see if it will start. This should energize all components required to start.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dents in fender from forehead..