Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

delete ignition key / use push button 1992 F150

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default delete ignition key / use push button 1992 F150

Hello guys. New here, but not so much to the trucks. This is like the 10th one of these I've owned. Love the 87-96 trucks (I know, different bodies, but like both).

Picked up a truck this weekend, and the ignition cylinder is shot. Not only is it shot, but there is no replacing it without replacing the column. It won't come out, and much of the housing that holds it has been shattered, and parts of the cylinder are broke off in side.

I pulled the harness off under the steering wheel. Three of the wires have been spliced. It looks like this was an issue for a while.

If I can find a column, great, if not, I'm preparing to just make this bad boy run. The steering column is not locked.

My question is, can I find a wiring diagram for the wiring harness under the wheel? Pretty sure I can figure out the "hot wire start" part, but I'd like to know what else should probably have a connection.

Thanks! Throwing up pictures of what I'm talking about. The red, yellow, and blue/red wire have been spliced. I assume red/yellow control power coming in, and going through the harness to power whatever needs it. I assume the red/blue is to the solenoid to make the starter fire. Would really prefer finding a wiring diagram though.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for anyone interested, found a diagram.

Quick Reply: delete ignition key / use push button 1992 F150